• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Second programmed fob process?

brownie0486

I've got the fob and spare key for the 2016 r1200rs. Thinking of getting another programmed fob as a back up.

1. What's the process of obtaining one and having it programmed to my keyless RS?
2. Cost?
3. Are there alternatives?
4. Alternative spare metal key cut so it can be used for seat take off instead of fob key?
5. Does one HAVE to go through a dealer and pay through the nose to have a second programmed fob?

Thanks.

The FOB is a dealer only item. It is something like $300. The dealer will want proof of ownership to order a FOB as it comes with a key to fit your bike. You can program it yourself. I am not sure of the procedure on the RS, but it is fairly simple, something like turn the bike on with the original FOB, leave the bike on, but get the original FOB away from the bike and then hold the new FOB near the security system antenna and watch for the security light on the dash to light up, or something like that! I did it on my 2018 RT.

My bet is YouTube with have a video to explain it accurately.

I bought a non chipped metal key from the dealer because I didn't trust using the fob key on the stiff seat lock.
Keys (2).JPG
A fob with a dead battery will still start the bike if you remove the seat and place the fob on the receiver.
The manual will show the exact location. Each model seems to be different.

If you use the plastic key here's a picture of the correct location and orientation.
Key Correct Placement.jpg

For the fob I keep it in my pants pocket attached with a cord I made to make sure I don't loose it.
Klim.jpg

Here's the correct placement of the fob on a RS if the fob battery is dead.

Key.jpg

Back