Thread: Salvaging chipped alloy rims

Adirondack Adventurer ewebbinaro's Avatar

Unhappy Salvaging chipped alloy rims

I have a 2012 G650 GS, came with alloy rims.

I was replacing my front tire and being a little over zealous ended up scratching the powder coating pretty good, or bad.

Anyway once the tire was on it leaked like a sieve, no surprise there I guess, the bead didn't have a smooth surface to seal against.

I got some real fine grit paper and sanded it down to smooth the edges, and was able to seat the tire, it holds pressure now..for a while. But after a few days it needs a top-off.

IMG_20200620_103054.jpg

So I'm wondering if anyone encountered this, or has advice. I'm tempted to just continue down the sanding route, but wanted to check for other ideas.
    For Adventure riders in or around Central & Northern New York, checkout ADKADV.com

Sand the area, spray paint it with some cheap Krylon clear. I have done this to rims that some said were beyond repair and they sealed up just fine.

The tire seals on this area, between theblack arrows. The knicks on the outer edge should not bother.

rim.jpg
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Adirondack Adventurer ewebbinaro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Sand the area, spray paint it with some cheap Krylon clear. I have done this to rims that some said were beyond repair and they sealed up just fine.

The tire seals on this area, between theblack arrows. The knicks on the outer edge should not bother.

Awesome!

Yeah the pic is back but those knicks go down the inside wall where the bead seats. I never thought to use something like Krylon to polish up my sanding job!

I gotta take my forks off to change their oil soon so I guess I'm going back in!
    Last edited by ewebbinaro; 05-20-2021 at 06:32 PM. Reason: remove duplicate image
    For Adventure riders in or around Central & Northern New York, checkout ADKADV.com