• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Salvaging chipped alloy rims

ewebbinaro

Adirondack Adventurer
I have a 2012 G650 GS, came with alloy rims.

I was replacing my front tire and being a little over zealous ended up scratching the powder coating pretty good, or bad.

Anyway once the tire was on it leaked like a sieve, no surprise there I guess, the bead didn't have a smooth surface to seal against.

I got some real fine grit paper and sanded it down to smooth the edges, and was able to seat the tire, it holds pressure now..for a while. But after a few days it needs a top-off.

IMG_20200620_103054.jpg

So I'm wondering if anyone encountered this, or has advice. I'm tempted to just continue down the sanding route, but wanted to check for other ideas.

Sand the area, spray paint it with some cheap Krylon clear. I have done this to rims that some said were beyond repair and they sealed up just fine.

The tire seals on this area, between theblack arrows. The knicks on the outer edge should not bother.

rim.jpg

Sand the area, spray paint it with some cheap Krylon clear. I have done this to rims that some said were beyond repair and they sealed up just fine.

The tire seals on this area, between theblack arrows. The knicks on the outer edge should not bother.

Awesome!

Yeah the pic is back but those knicks go down the inside wall where the bead seats. I never thought to use something like Krylon to polish up my sanding job!

I gotta take my forks off to change their oil soon so I guess I'm going back in!

Last edited:
Back