• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle Center Jack - Take care of your bearings

drneo66

More of a PSA than anything: I have a Liftmaster center jack that I've enjoyed using for the last year. It's pretty to quick to go up or down and holds the bike well when I need to do a tire change or other maintenance on the lift. About 6 weeks ago I found a ball bearing on the floor (always fun), but found that it matched the size that was in my rolling shop chair (which has had a hard life). Last week when I was working on a friends bike, I had a heck of a time trying to use the center jack and finally noticed that 80% of the bearings were gone, I broke one end of the bearing retainer, and the bearing cage was crushed. Dumb me didn't think to take a moment and see if the bearings were actually greased from the factory. A new, higher quality 51102 thrust bearing was secured from a bearing supplier for ~$15, greased, and installed. The jack works great now. I suspect that most of these lifts are made in the same factory, so hopefully this will save someone from having to go through an ordeal.

I have a similar jack. I often used a drill to raise and lower the thing. Yes, the OEM bearing is junk but the problem occurs when you lower the jack down all the way and then some. This will back the nut and washer away from the bearing pieces and the balls will fall out. I suspect almost all these inexpensive jacks are like this. I attached a warning label ("do not lower beyond the stop") to help me remember.

I have a similar jack. I often used a drill to raise and lower the thing. Yes, the OEM bearing is junk but the problem occurs when you lower the jack down all the way and then some. This will back the nut and washer away from the bearing pieces and the balls will fall out. I suspect almost all these inexpensive jacks are like this. I attached a warning label ("do not lower beyond the stop") to help me remember.

Interesting - mine has a shaft collar to prevent that very thing.

There is almost nothing that can't be made cheaper and less reliable if a person/company puts their mind to it.

I have the same jack, different brand, probably out of the same China plant.

A couple years ago I was changing the tire on my Harley and the screw galled up. I forced it, it broke! Luckily i was nearly done so the bike dropped down onto the tire.

My one caution on these jacke is to lube the screw! I smear wheel bearing grease on mine.

I actually found a piece of grade 5 5/8" UNC threaded rod and repaired my jack. I also replaced the bearing with a better quality, enclosed unit, nothing to fall apart.

I have had a couple people give me a hard time about fixing it. Possibly the threaded rod is not strong enough, but as easy as the original threaded rod snapped i question the quality and believe the rod I used is better. Also, I went with a standard 5/8" UNC rod. Some have commented that it should be acme threads, again the original rod was very poor quality and the threads were very poor.

Back