• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Horrible MOA experience

From my perspective about the only true benefit of any of these assistance or insurance programs is having a resource to call on to handle the logistics in the event of a problem. But then isn't that what the Anonymous Book is all about? The companies that provide these services do so to make a profit, so unless you are prone to neglecting your bike or you are driving behind a lot of trucks spilling nails, the cost for most subscribers will outweigh the value received.

I will remain in the camp of taking my chances and being self reliant and resourceful enough to deal with an issue when/if it happens.

I am not saying your self-insurance is wrong. It is part of any risk tolerance scheme. ...

Yes. And for various reasons, we might each have reasonable perspectives that differ. So, for example, I started buying the platinum plan when I bought a used 2004 R1150RT which was infamous for stripping the input spline on the transmission, and leaving riders stranded on the side of the road. I had that happen to me on my 2001 R1150GS, fortunately while it was under warranty. I figured the platinum plan insurance was worth the cost for a bike with a non-zero probability of a catastrophic failure while far from home. And then when I sold that bike, I kept buying the insurance out of habit even though my 2017 RT doesn't really justify it. So, I think I made a rational decision to buy the insurance on the 1150, and then made a lazy irrational decision to keep buying it when my circumstances changed. This thread has clarified my commitment to drop the insurance next year.

Also, it matters if one can afford the cost of resolving the failure when it happens. For most of us on this forum, who can afford to buy new BMW motorcycles, the probability of a catastrophic failure is low, and we can afford the cost of resolving it if it happens. But consider the demographics of motorcycle ridership: old farts (like most of us in the MOA) can afford to fix our bikes as necessary. But younger riders will probably have less experience with expedient repairs, are more likely to be riding older less reliable motorcycles, and are less likely to be able to afford expensive repairs. For them, insurance is probably a good value. And I think all riders benefit if there is an affordable path to ownership for new riders. And especially for the MOA, we benefit when there is an affordable path to ownership of used BMW motorcycles.

So, the point of all this is that the MOA benefits if there is a high-quality provider of trip insurance. And what we are discovering is that our current provider places barriers to using the coverage when you need it most. So, I would advocate that the MOA would be better served by revising the relationship with our insurance partner. Either we should drop it, and encourage riders to buy one of the highly rated plans mentioned in this thread, OR we should apply some leverage to our current partner to revise the service level agreement.

Cap

Yes. And for various reasons, we might each have reasonable perspectives that differ. So, for example, I started buying the platinum plan when I bought a used 2004 R1150RT which was infamous for stripping the input spline on the transmission, and leaving riders stranded on the side of the road. I had that happen to me on my 2001 R1150GS, fortunately while it was under warranty. I figured the platinum plan insurance was worth the cost for a bike with a non-zero probability of a catastrophic failure while far from home. And then when I sold that bike, I kept buying the insurance out of habit even though my 2017 RT doesn't really justify it. So, I think I made a rational decision to buy the insurance on the 1150, and then made a lazy irrational decision to keep buying it when my circumstances changed. This thread has clarified my commitment to drop the insurance next year.

Also, it matters if one can afford the cost of resolving the failure when it happens. For most of us on this forum, who can afford to buy new BMW motorcycles, the probability of a catastrophic failure is low, and we can afford the cost of resolving it if it happens. But consider the demographics of motorcycle ridership: old farts (like most of us in the MOA) can afford to fix our bikes as necessary. But younger riders will probably have less experience with expedient repairs, are more likely to be riding older less reliable motorcycles, and are less likely to be able to afford expensive repairs. For them, insurance is probably a good value. And I think all riders benefit if there is an affordable path to ownership for new riders. And especially for the MOA, we benefit when there is an affordable path to ownership of used BMW motorcycles.

So, the point of all this is that the MOA benefits if there is a high-quality provider of trip insurance. And what we are discovering is that our current provider places barriers to using the coverage when you need it most. So, I would advocate that the MOA would be better served by revising the relationship with our insurance partner. Either we should drop it, and encourage riders to buy one of the highly rated plans mentioned in this thread, OR we should apply some leverage to our current partner to revise the service level agreement.

Cap

I agree 100 per cent.

But then isn't that what the Anonymous Book is all about? .

One time I was contacted because of my number in the Anonymous book. Not sure how he picked my name since I was a couple hours from him.
I told him where the closest dealer was and gave him the number.
I called a bike shop near him and asked if they knew someone who could tow the guy to Omaha and they did.
I called the rider back and gave him the number for the tow and I asked if he had tow insurance for the bike.
He said no and I suggested he contact his car insurance and see if his car insurance would cover a tow for his bike and it turned out it did.

I've had the Platinum Coverage for two years now, I have yet to use it though I might have been able to in 2019 0n the Dalton Highway about 50 miles North of the Yukon River Crossing. I cut my quite worn rear tire (Shinko 805) on a sharp rock on our way back to Fairbanks from Prudhoe Bay.

Platinum Roadside Assistance & Tire Hazard Protection provides 100 miles of free towing - I was 180 miles from Fairbanks.
I plugged unsuccessfully, then removed the tire from the rim and patched inside. My glue was suspect and the patch leaked. I removed tire again and successfully patched it at the Yukon River Camp, the maintenance guy let me work in his shop :) .

I replaced the worn-out tire in Fairbanks on my $$ as it didn't owe me anything, there might have been 2/32 of tread but not worth the hassle.

I would gladly forego the Tire Replacement coverage for Unlimited Tow Mileage Coverage. I hope that the "Club" looks at these comments when they renew the Road Service contract.

I for one advocate for an Unlimited Tow Mileage Coverage option in the next contract.

I was out for a ride last week. Pulled into a Brake Check area to wait for some buddies. When they showed up, I was walking back to my bike when I spied a sheet metal screw lodged in the back tire - dead centre and brand spanking new. I'd obviously picked it up in this pull out. Called a contact in the Anonymous Book who had a plugging kit and lived all of 3 km away. My tire was holding air as I'd left the screw in so I very carefully rode to his place, pulled the screw, plugged the tire and I was on the road 30 minutes later. Thanks, MOA, for publishing the Anonymous Book!

Forgot to mention, I wasn't on my BMW (on which I carry a plugging kit) but this guy still helped me out. :thumb

Edit: Anonymous Book app on my phone worked great!

Last edited:

Cap

I agree with this - and would hope that AAA might be the option. Then too the MOA could advocate for a training discount where AAA offers insurance, and possibly include motos for multi-vehicle discounts...

$250 seems to be just the beginning...

Pretty sure that covers everything listed. I have this and used it. One motorhome tow covers the plan for about 3 years. As I frequently have a trailer with me, they will take care of that as well.
Om

Small change to somebody with a $250,000 diesel pusher bus RV thing.

And they have the same frustrations with tow and roadside service providers that we do. But a guy coming by in a pickemup truck can help us out while the RV guy is still stuck… :)

Best,
DeVern

Problem resolved. Evidently Ted Moyer contacted MOA and they called me. Retook the info. Seemed like the info the dealer sent got "lost". I received a check for $250 in the mail this am. Thanks Ted!

Problem resolved. Evidently Ted Moyer contacted MOA and they called me. Retook the info. Seemed like the info the dealer sent got "lost". I received a check for $250 in the mail this am. Thanks Ted!

Good job Ted :thumb:thumb

Just to be clear, Ted Moyer is the BMW MOA Executive Director. As such he did not contact the MOA. In this context he is the MOA. He must have contacted the insurance people.

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. Upon seeing the thread I linked it in an email to executive director Ted Moyer. Ted, upon being made aware of the member’s experience contacted Jeff Rosenbaum, the MOA’s representative for our insurance vendor, Nation Safe Driver. Jeff assured Ted that the member would be appropriately compensated for the claim. Ted contacted the member to give him instructions on how to follow through on the claim. The last I talked to Ted, the member was contacted, but didn’t answer and has not returned the call. NSD and the MOA are standing by to make the situation whole.

The MOA is a club that cares about its members. When an issue is brought to the board or staff’s attention, we work hard on behalf of the member to make it right for them.

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. Upon seeing the thread I linked it in an email to executive director Ted Moyer. Ted, upon being made aware of the member’s experience contacted Jeff Rosenbaum, the MOA’s representative for our insurance vendor, Nation Safe Driver. Jeff assured Ted that the member would be appropriately compensated for the claim. Ted contacted the member to give him instructions on how to follow through on the claim. The last I talked to Ted, the member was contacted, but didn’t answer and has not returned the call. NSD and the MOA are standing by to make the situation whole.

The MOA is a club that cares about its members. When an issue is brought to the board or staff’s attention, we work hard on behalf of the member to make it right for them.

His post #53 says he got the check.

Back