Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Horrible MOA experience

I carry a 12 volt air pump and tire repair kit. I also have roadside assistance towing service through Allstate RV. If I get a puncture I repair it. If unhappy with the repair I find the nearest decent motorcycle shop to buy a tire. If unable to accomplish a repair I would use my roadside assistance plan to get towed to the nearest qualified service facility; ie, a shop that can sell and mount a new tire. I do not need tire insurance from a company that makes getting paid for a tire difficult. So I am a lifetime BMW MOA member with no need for the premium aggravation plan.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    I have been buying the platinum plan for about 6 years. My luck has been good, and I have never had to use it. But the reason I buy the plan is to provide assistance when I am out on a tour, in case I need a tow or I need to replace a punctured tire. There have been more than a few of these stories posted by users frustrated by the plan provider. And it seems to me that they share a common theme -- that if you happen to be away from home, and have some urgency to get the problem fixed quickly so that you don't ruin your trip, then this plan provider will make it hard enough for you that you give up and do what you need to do to resume your voyage at your own expense.

I can imagine that if I picked up a nail in my tire near home, and noticed the flat the next time I looked at the bike in the garage, then I would be willing to jump through the hoops to have the plan provider pay for the repair.

But the spirit of this platinum plan is that it serves as "trip insurance." And from my perspective, a big part of "trip insurance" is that your trip doesn't get ruined while you spend a couple of days playing phone tag with the insurance company, and racking up hotel bills, and burning through your precious vacation time, and/or forcing your riding buddies to hang around while you get your bike fixed. There have been enough of these reports here that I am persuaded to stop buying the platinum plan, which frankly is the primary reason that I pay my dues.

I can't believe that I am the only member who feels this way. So, while the poor service of the plan provider is not a direct reflection on the MOA, it should nevertheless be a serious concern.

Cap
    MOA #97828
    You are NOT the only member that feels that way. The description of the process in ON magazine was well written and clear but accepting of an unacceptable "insurance" policy. The description of the calls and documentation and time was almost a parody- except it was the actual process. If it had been Reipe's column it would have been hilarious. This coverage may have a place- not for me nor roadside emergency tire replacement.

RK Ryder

Smile

I have the platinum plan and only used it once for a tow when my one wheel trailer's tire became unseated. I was stuck on the highway shoulder, over a thousand miles from home, quite unfamiliar with the area. The insurance company would not send a truck until I located a tire shop. My thought that a local tow truck driver would know a local tire shop did not change their decision to send me a truck. Without the assistance of a state LEO, I expect it would have taken a good deal longer to locate a shop and hence a tow. I certainly would not rate the insurance company as friendly nor exactly helpful. Yes a truck did show up with a helpful and friendly driver, after I called in a shop address, but the company's overall response increased the frustration of the situation. I did not bother to put a claim in for replacement tire.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I have the platinum plan and only used it once for a tow when my one wheel trailer's tire became unseated. I was stuck on the highway shoulder, over a thousand miles from home, quite unfamiliar with the area. The insurance company would not send a truck until I located a tire shop. My thought that a local tow truck driver would know a local tire shop did not change their decision to send me a truck. Without the assistance of a state LEO, I expect it would have taken a good deal longer to locate a shop and hence a tow. I certainly would not rate the insurance company as friendly nor exactly helpful. Yes a truck did show up with a helpful and friendly driver, after I called in a shop address, but the company's overall response increased the frustration of the situation. I did not bother to put a claim in for replacement tire.
    AAA has a reasonably priced motorcycle program. No tire service per se but a 200 mile tow... (or carry LOL) I've used them for a jumpstart in a sketchy neighborhood and my son used his membership for a car tow to a dealer (and it wasn't his car- but the driver is covered, not the car!) I was never a particular FAN of AAA...but I'm feeling better about them reading this thread. Let's not forget ALL these guys are for profit, so the odds need be in their favor OR they can limit the number of uses permitted. Looks like the MOA affiliated plan lowers the odds by making it a pain to use, AAA seems to make it easy but limits the number of times per year you can use them.

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    AAA has a reasonably priced motorcycle program. No tire service per se but a 200 mile tow.
    AAA reduced their tow limit from 200 to 100 miles some time ago.
    Carl S.
    BMWMOA #11500

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I carry a 12 volt air pump and tire repair kit. I also have roadside assistance towing service through Allstate RV. If I get a puncture I repair it. If unhappy with the repair I find the nearest decent motorcycle shop to buy a tire. If unable to accomplish a repair I would use my roadside assistance plan to get towed to the nearest qualified service facility; ie, a shop that can sell and mount a new tire. I do not need tire insurance from a company that makes getting paid for a tire difficult. So I am a lifetime BMW MOA member with no need for the premium aggravation plan.
    What Paul said. I have a different insurance carrier and am on an annual membership but other than that, what he does is what I do. I'll probably jinx it now, but I have over 200K on BMWs and have never needed to repair a tire. I did dent a rim on an RT (pothole) and the shop would have replaced it but I didn't have wheel and tire coverage. It held air though, and was still doing so when I sold it 15,000 miles later.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Bad luck on MABDR -- Good Experience with MOA Platinum program

Two times I rode the MABDR and two times I had a flat between the lugs of my rear Michelin Anakee Wild tire (2016 R1200GSA). One nail in VA and one sharp rock off the packed gravel roads in mid-PA. Love the Wilds, bad luck on MABDR. Rode COBDR with Wilds without issue. Never a flat on tarmac-based running either Wilds or Anakee Adventures. Both flats were readily plugged with my repair kit and allowed me to keep my trips going until reaching home. MOA Platinum policy worked very well both times. I had to call the phone number MOA provided, explain what happened, get a case number, and then take it to the dealer for replacement with my case information. This process for me worked perfectly and in both cases the tire was replaced with a new one up to the $250 value. I recommend it if you have my luck with flats...

For many, if not most, punctures in tubeless tires the repair is fairly simple. I have made these repairs (then forgotten about them) that lasted the rest of the tire's life (about 7000 miles). Other times the repair was until I could get home and replace with a new tire.

I particularly like the AAA RV towing as it covers all bikes and cars (and the maps from AAA are ok also). As part of my travel kit I like the kit from Best Rest Products. Reliable and fairly compact for motorcycle use.

https://bestrestproducts.com/product...pump-ez-gauge/

Quote Originally Posted by cjcs View Post
    Premier coverage per their website:
    Members receive four roadside assistance calls per year (Up to 100 miles per tow). One tow up to 200 miles is provided per household per year.

all in all I think AAA is the superior plan. for us, it is a household membership for not much more than individual- so we have 2 memberships for almost the price of one. Meals and hotels are also covered during the time of a multi-day repair as well. As I said- I'm not a big fan but it does look better . Oh- did I mention the free maps??

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    I would describe this as a "horrible" experience with the tire insurance benefit, not with the MOA writ large, nor a compelling rationale for not renewing MOA membership, but each to his own. Given the relatively few flat tires I've had, I didn't see the upside to paying extra for this coverage (and I will admit I don't recall exactly what the benefit costs). As for the inclusion of trip interruption benefits, in addition to the tire coverage, I'd suggest many (most?) people already have that coverage - and more - through their moto insurance policies.
    I also had AAA/CAA coverage but having the MOA plan, thought I might as well use it. I now pack a spare tire for the trailer. Since last summer and this one, I am basically restricted to day trips in Ontario, I only renewed the MOA package. Next year I'll most likely just go back to CAA/AAA.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

MOA is who I paid so in my mind they are responsible for who they contract with. So yes is was a horrible MOA experience. I have never had to jump through these hoops before. It has been several years since the last one. I will look into upgrading AAA.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Agree.
    Having three different repair kits and a 12V compressor on the bike is how I travel. Self-reliance goes a long way in leaving worry beads at home.
    I fixed my friend's brand new tire in a remote area and he rode on that tire until it was worn out. Having TPMS is a great aid and that is how he knew there was a problem before it became a major issue.
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by cjcs View Post
    You have to go with Premier to get the 200 mile tow, and RV/Moto is now reimbursement rather than distance.

Effective April 1, 2021, the Premier tow will change from one 200 mile tow per cardholder to one 200 mile tow per household, as one of your four allowable calls per membership year. With AAA Premier, you can use one (1) allowable Roadside Assistance service call per household per membership year for a non-RV/Motorcycle tow of up to 200 driving miles, and the remaining allowable service calls in the membership year for non-RV/motorcycle tows of up to 100 driving miles.**
    TOWING SERVICE RV/MOTORCYCLE
    With optional RV/ Motorcycle Roadside Assistance, the Auto Club will pay up to $500 towards services per allowable RV/Motorcycle service call, up to $1,000 total per household per membership year on allowable RV/Motorcycle service calls. Members will be responsible for all other costs of service above that amount. (See REIMBURSEMENT)
    Or at least, that's with the California AAA... I keep forgetting that it's different in other states...

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by equusferreis2016 View Post
    ....MOA Platinum policy worked very well both times. This process for me worked perfectly and in both cases the tire was replaced with a new one....
    Positive reviews are not allowed in threads where the MOA is being trashed.

I offer one general comment. If an insurance type service works OK when I am safely home in my garage but doesn't work well, or at all, when I am on-the-road and far from home, then it isn't really worth much of anything to me.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/