Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Senior Moment: Brake Bleeding

Left Coast Rider
    My personal opinion is that leaving the cap off one's brake fluid reservoir for any length of time is a bad idea.

Even with the cap on, air will work its way to the top...or not. Leaving the cap off only invites water into the system - especially if your bike is in a humid environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    GRIACG, the purpose in leaving the
    cover off was allow any air in the lines to flow upwards and I did get a number of air bubbles when I pumped the brake lever. There was more resistance this morning than last night. The final couple d'etat at removing the air was obviously taking the bike off the centre stand. If I should ever be unfortunate to have this issue again, bumping the off the centre stand will my first step to dislodge any stubborn air.

I am not too concerned about a bit of moisture in the K's braking system as I alternate which bike gets ridden the most in a season. This year is the R's turn for the majority of rides and with a COVID summer in Ontario, I am unfortunately looking at only day trips for the second summer in a row. 😠👎
    The reservoir cap does not need to be off when holding the brake lever/pedal. The volume of fluids and gas does not change inside the system, it just swaps places.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The reservoir cap does not need to be off when holding the brake lever/pedal. The volume of fluids and gas does not change inside the system, it just swaps places.
    With regard to humidity, our cool spring has yet to experience any. My garage this spring has had a constant temperature of 60F.

However, rather than risk damage to the braking system, I will bleed the K's front brakes next week before riding it.

Thank you bring this to my attention. 👍

Paul
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333