• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75s Tall Windshield- any problems?

I am thinking of changing the windshield on my 91 K75S from the stock size to a tall one (about 18" front the center to the top). Has anyone done that? These shields are only held on by four short screws, but I assume that since some company made the tall ones, that they will work okay. I know someone had asked about the extra wind load with the tall ones. Just wondered about the pluses and minuses of the tall shields. Thanks.

I tried a tall one from Guftason. It didn’t help mitigate the horrible wind noise so I ended up cutting it shorter than stock I think because of the angle on the S , it’s hard to go tall enough I think you can change the angle by putting some spacers in the upper screw holes but I ended up selling it and getting an LT.

John,

Not reccomended.

The screen is really only held by the two lower screws. The upper two are too close to the "fulcrum" point to add much. Taller windscreens only provide more leverage on the lower screws.

If you look on the sticker on top of your tool tray under your seat, you will see that BMW does not recommend taking the stock windscreen above 99 mph. A taller screen would make that worse. :dunno

:dance:dance:dance

I really enjoyed my Aeroflow and lip deflector for the ~50k miles that I used it on my K75S. I am just over 6ft and wanted a nice bubble with my RDL seat and Airhawk. I was always very careful when I installed the screen, making sure that the screws were never torqued down beyond being a little tight. I always made sure that I had the rubber washers and spacers installed correctly. I know that a lot of people reported that it was hard on the mounting hardware, but I never had a problem. Actually, the corner of the screen started to crack, but I repaired the screen with Plastifix and some stainless wire. YMMV and I personally have never needed to go above the 99mph limit of the original screen.

It looks like you really wanted an RT instead of an S.

Yep - you nailed it, that especially hit home when I was seriously considering adding an electronic cruise control. My next bike was the R1200RT. If only BMW would let me design my own bikes! :laugh

Lee and I usually agree. I don't agree this time. :) RT models, and especially K75RT models are just plain too hot in the summer where I ride. That is why my 370,000 mile original K75T had the OEM "International Shield", why my current K75 low seat standard has the "International Shield", why my R1150R had the BMW touring shield made by ZTechnic (National Cycle), and why my G310GS also has a ZTechnic shield. The original K75T and the R1150R had a homemade top deflector fashioned from a K1200LT headlight guard, and 2 RAM balls, and a RAM short arm.

And it is why my K75RTP is my winter bike.

I like a windshield that keeps the wind off my chest and has airflow that just kisses the top of my helmet. But I see no need to keep my hands and feet and legs and arms out of the breeze in warm weather.

However - I do agree with Lee that there is pressure on the location of the top two fasteners, and pull on the bottom two fasteners on the K75S. I would not advise a taller shield without modifying the bottom mounts. It can be done with the same type of expanding fasteners used to hang a big screen TV on a drywall wall. I would not rely on the little rubber friction plugs used in the OEM system.

K75S Windscreen

I am using large fender washers and longer screws with a deflector added to the standard S shield which works well for my 6’-1”
package

the stock K75S screen provides the perfect "pocket" for me....along with the stock bars and stock seat. wonderful ergos!

one of my K75S's came with an aeroflow tall screen. replaced it after a month with a new stock screen. tall screen blocked too much air(hot) and created turbulence.

Last edited:
I too, rarely disagree with Lee in the matter of K75S bikes, but in this case I have to admit that I am fully with Paul. I actually did buy a K75RT as my first K75 a few years back, and for the same reasons I bought my R1100RT: I like the wind and weather protection of a full fairing. Boy was I in for a shock. I live in northern Ohio and I could not ride that bike in even mildly warm weather. The heat was incredible. I tried everything to fix it, fairing gaskets, fan working, etc. Nothing helped. Then I started reading people's posts that all said the same thing, terrible heat off that model. I always wondered how BMW could even sell the things with that kind of reputation.

Like Paul, going back to my 1970's Yamaha 750 twin, I put a National Cycle windshield on it pretty quickly after owning it. I don't know how people ride a motorcycle at 70 mph on a freeway with nothing but their chest blocking the wind.

Back