• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

sticking brakes

brianfisk

Hi all, 1998 R1100RT front brakes are sticking and I cannot seem to get them to to let go all the way. Just rebuilt the M/C. I have had stainless lines for awhile. Brake fluid is clean and I cleaned the calipers (letting the pucks out and cleaning them. They seem to push back in okay).
Brakes drag more than I like. Any thoughts from the group?

Brian

If your pads are old, and specifically if they have been in the bike for a long period of disuse, they are the problem. Replace them. I can't explain it authoritatively but I have some theories, not going into them, just replace the pads if they are old. Wear doesn't matter. Old.

brakes

I should have added that the brakes were sticking before I did any work to them. I will check the grub screw as I did not play with it when I did the rebuild. Brake. pads are fairly new

fix?

Well I tried to do the grub screw, was tearing it apart after using a solder iron to try and loosen it up. No good!

took the front wheel off just to check (again ) that the bearings were okay, they were. I put it back together and pumped the brakes back up. I think that might have loosen the calipers up as it no longer is sticking as bad did a short ride and really hit the brakes hard, still seemed okay. will ride a longer distance soon and check again.

thanks for the replies, Brian

Sometimes removing the wheel and disk, and then spreading the pads fully will cause pistons that seem to be sticking to again be normal. In typical use the movement of the pistons is minimal - retraction is very slight. Retracting the pistons fully seems to correct sticking.

Did you clean both tiny little holes ?

There are two (2) little tiny holes leading from the reservoir to the piston chamber. One is the feed to the piston and the other smaller one is the return. If the return is restricted or blocked completely your caliper pucks will be slow to retract or stay stuck out and cause the problem you are describing.

There are two (2) little tiny holes leading from the reservoir to the piston chamber. One is the feed to the piston and the other smaller one is the return. If the return is restricted or blocked completely your caliper pucks will be slow to retract or stay stuck out and cause the problem you are describing.

Read post #3

clean

I did clean the holes. I think Paul's suggestion that I spread the pads did the trick ( I had done it when I cleaned the surface of the calipers a couple of times, I thinking I just needed to do it one more time)

Brian

Back