Thread: sticking brakes

sticking brakes

Hi all, 1998 R1100RT front brakes are sticking and I cannot seem to get them to to let go all the way. Just rebuilt the M/C. I have had stainless lines for awhile. Brake fluid is clean and I cleaned the calipers (letting the pucks out and cleaning them. They seem to push back in okay).
    Brakes drag more than I like. Any thoughts from the group?

Brian

I eventually rebuilt my calipers with new cups and seals to make this problem go away on my 99 RT.
    Signature

My first guess, since you rebuilt the MC, is somehow the compensating port may not be allowing pressure to bleed off.

Check out this explanation of how it all works.... one of the best I've seen.

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=11931.0

Level of fluid in m/c?

I’ll fix the title in a bit...unless you meant it
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Check your grub screw adjustment.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

If your pads are old, and specifically if they have been in the bike for a long period of disuse, they are the problem. Replace them. I can't explain it authoritatively but I have some theories, not going into them, just replace the pads if they are old. Wear doesn't matter. Old.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

brakes

I should have added that the brakes were sticking before I did any work to them. I will check the grub screw as I did not play with it when I did the rebuild. Brake. pads are fairly new

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by brianfisk View Post
    I should have added that the brakes were sticking before I did any work to them.
    In that case, refer to Post #2. And replace the pads while you're at it.

fix?

Well I tried to do the grub screw, was tearing it apart after using a solder iron to try and loosen it up. No good!

took the front wheel off just to check (again ) that the bearings were okay, they were. I put it back together and pumped the brakes back up. I think that might have loosen the calipers up as it no longer is sticking as bad did a short ride and really hit the brakes hard, still seemed okay. will ride a longer distance soon and check again.

thanks for the replies, Brian

Sometimes removing the wheel and disk, and then spreading the pads fully will cause pistons that seem to be sticking to again be normal. In typical use the movement of the pistons is minimal - retraction is very slight. Retracting the pistons fully seems to correct sticking.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Did you clean both tiny little holes ?

There are two (2) little tiny holes leading from the reservoir to the piston chamber. One is the feed to the piston and the other smaller one is the return. If the return is restricted or blocked completely your caliper pucks will be slow to retract or stay stuck out and cause the problem you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by 69zeff65 View Post
    There are two (2) little tiny holes leading from the reservoir to the piston chamber. One is the feed to the piston and the other smaller one is the return. If the return is restricted or blocked completely your caliper pucks will be slow to retract or stay stuck out and cause the problem you are describing.
    Read post #3

clean

Quote Originally Posted by 69zeff65 View Post
    I did clean the holes. I think Paul's suggestion that I spread the pads did the trick ( I had done it when I cleaned the surface of the calipers a couple of times, I thinking I just needed to do it one more time)

Brian