• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sena srl

WalterK75

I'm thinking of getting the SENA SRL for my Shoei Neotec II. Is anyone using this Sena? If so, how is it? How does it connect to other brands? Any information would be useful.

It’s the first in-helmet comm system I used, so I don’t know what the right expectations are. I also didn’t road test the helmet before buying or compare to anything else (so two strikes against me).

Even with the great reviews the Neotec II gets, there is still enough noise that I need some kind of hearing protection above ~45mph. With earplugs, I can really only hear the Sena system clearly up to maybe 65-70mph. In that sweet spot, though, it’s great because that battery lasts all day and I can use the helmet’s controls. (My alternate in-ear BT headphones last 3-4 hours/charge and must be controlled from the phone). If the Sena speakers could go to 11, it would be a real winner for me.

The intercom features were not my priority, and given the volume challenges, I haven’t tried to test it as a phone headset.

Good luck to you!

The "Interbrand Connectivity" of the Sena, and for all other brand helmet communications devices for that matter, rely on Bluetooth Cell Phone Pairing as the vehicle for "Universal Pairing".

I have owned both Sena and Cardo systems, neither did a good job at pairing with other brands - the range of these universal pairings is 100-150 feet and there are frequent drops.

If you are buying a system for interbike communications I reccomend you buy the system all your friends are using.

The Sena 50 and the Cardo Packtalk Bold both have a "Mesh" system that provides superior connectivity between riders.
Unfortunately there is no standard for Mesh so the two systems are not compatible with each other but work well when linked to their propriatary units.

I just bought a new Neotech II helmet as well. I did not get the SRL2 to go with it. I have been a Sena user for a while and am generally OK with their systems. Mostly I didn't really want to have to replace my current Sena 20S which still works fine and the dealer indicated that the SLR2 was on backorder right now anyway. I chose the Neotech II because of the three modular helmets that I was interested in, it was the only brand the fit my head, the Schuberth and AGV helmets were entirely the wrong shape for me.

I got the helmet home and pulled the 20s off my old Schuberth to see what could be accomplished in mounting it to the Neotech II. While not quite as sleek as the built in system, I was able to get a decent install completed. I did not need to do anything to the helmet, so I could install the SLR2 later if I wish. So although the intel all says you can't install any other system to this helmet, I say you can but it's just not as sleek and tidy.

My wife has an SRL for Neotec and is generally pleased with it. The plus is that it integrates neatly into the helmet and is easy to install, but that's about it. It's old technology and overpriced for what you get. I bought a Sena 20S Evo for my Arai so we could pair easily. The two work well together for our purposes but there are better systems available if you don't mind having a unit on the side of your helmet.

It's too bad that Sena's SRL units didn't have the latest mesh technology, like their 50S and 50R units. I wonder if there are any technical reasons why the SRL 2 (or a future SRL 3) can't have mesh, as well as regular Bluetooth, intercom? I bought a 50S within the last year, and the mesh intercom is a nice improvement (with the exception of battery life). I've used Shoei helmets for quite a few years, but having the SRL be the only "viable" option for an intercom on a Shoei helmet, would make me think twice about another Shoei helmet. The GT-Air II, like the Neotec II, is configured for SRL 2. Is this the new norm?

It's too bad that Sena's SRL units didn't have the latest mesh technology, like their 50S and 50R units. I wonder if there are any technical reasons why the SRL 2 (or a future SRL 3) can't have mesh, as well as regular Bluetooth, intercom? I bought a 50S within the last year, and the mesh intercom is a nice improvement (with the exception of battery life). I've used Shoei helmets for quite a few years, but having the SRL be the only "viable" option for an intercom on a Shoei helmet, would make me think twice about another Shoei helmet. The GT-Air II, like the Neotec II, is configured for SRL 2. Is this the new norm?

I agree. If the SRL 2 had been based on the newer Sena headsets I probably would have been more willing to upgrade, but since it's basically the same as the unit I already have I didn't see the point other than a cleaner installation. Choosing the Shoei was based on fit for me. I've had a lot of Shoei helmets in my riding career as they are one of the few brands that reliably fit my head. It was the only one of the modulars that did.

Have you tried to connect your 50S with a 30K via mesh? If so, what steps do the connect?

I find it very annoying that manufactures are doing. I have the original neotec and am looking at getting a replacement soon. I will just have to use the sticky tape for my cardo further back I guess.

I bought a Shoei GT-Air II and I wasn't willing to scrap my 30K for the SRL2. I ended up mounting the 30K on the outside left of the helmet behind the SRL2 "bump out." The 30K doesn't come off of the mount easily due to angle, but I never really took it off my old helmet to charge it anyway.

Last edited:
Back