• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Clutch adjustment on K1600 bagger

Igotone2

I’ve had a 2018 K1600 bagger for 37,000 miles and I am noticing a change in clutch engagement. When new engagement seemed to be pretty close to the handgrip, now it is almost at the end of lever movement. It never slips but I am wondering if the clutch pack is wearing out. If this bike had a clutch cable it would be a simple matter to restore it to the original release point. I use the quick shifter for both up and down shifting all the time. Anyone have experience with this?

Since it has gone from needing a lot of lever movement to release the clutch to very little lever movement to release the clutch, that tells me that the clutch has in fact worn "thin". I would think that air in the system would cause exactly the opposite result; ie, more lever travel.

Is the clutch wearing out? Technically yes. Is it worn out? If it's not slipping and works smoothly...I would say no.

Clutch engagement at the end of handle travel seems a common experience (complaint)... there are threads out there discussing tweaking the one adjustment between the handle and master cylinder. Do a search however I would not recommend messing with it.

With use from new or after a flush/bleed fluid is able take up minute amounts of slack in the system with every clutch release (by design) and over time that results in the engagement point ending up where it is. That being the point where the slave cylinder piston is pushed back to by the clutch springs.

I found changing out the mineral oil in the clutch circuit made a huge difference in feel (better seal lubrication) on my 2012. That was 10 year old oil... probably won't make as big a difference on your '18 but is something to consider.

Last edited:
With slight pressure on the handle I can feel the effect of the slipper clutch ramps as I gently roll on and off the throttle... kinda cool. However the engagement remains primarily at the end of handle travel. Didn't like it at first but have gotten used to it.

Before I have my tune installed, I had a real problem with this friction zone; it seemed almost binary. For slow-speed work, I put the bike into second and use the rear brake more than I would normally. I now use the friction zone exiting a steep curve, but rarely other times.

I know I'm repeating myself as I've mentioned it several times in a number of forums. I'd say 80% of my shifting issues on this bike went away after the mineral oil change. I'm thinking the old oil was causing a delay in the slave and I just could not get the timing right.... maybe because I ride other bikes as well. Between the oil, preload (which we've discussed) and simply miles ridden I'm shifting smoothly from about 1500 rpm up. No complaints. Although I will say, I remain a dry clutch guy, just prefer it (rare, I know).

Back