• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1997 f650 funduro- New rear brake line question

cal0987

CAL0987
Just got my new GALFER BRAIDED STAINLESS STEEL rear brake line.
While starting to install, noticed that the stock line is attached to the Master Cylinder by a 6" thin metal pipe and the hose is clamped to that.
With the new SS hose with 2 Banjo bolts, one on each end, do I remove the metal pipe and connect the hose directly to the cylinder?

I noticed there has been no response...... I guess I would give Galfer a call. Beyond that, maybe check the length of the Galfer replacement and see how it compares with what is now on the bike.
Good luck.
OM

I am not sure what the "pipe" is. The parts fiche shows lines with banjo connections directly to the master cylinder and caliper.

If the new hose is long enough to reach, I'd eliminate the metal pipe. You might need to route it a bit differently, or a cable tie or two, to keep the hose out of harms way. The metal pipe probably let BMW use sharper curves than a thick rubber hose while still being less expensive than a stainless braided hose.

Got the old line out and the new line in, yes the full braided SS hose replaces the part metal, part rubber old hose... all worked out ok and I now have working rear brake!

Got the old line out and the new line in, yes the full braided SS hose replaces the part metal, part rubber old hose... all worked out ok and I now have working rear brake!

Thanks for letting us know!
Information like this helps others tackling this job.
OM

Back