Thread: 1983 R80RT afrermarket grips

1983 R80RT afrermarket grips

Anyone know what size grips to buy? I have 7/8 and 1 inch ID.
    I like the Biltwell Renegade grips.
    Jim

The bars are 22mm ID. 7/8 ID will be too loose.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    The bars are 22mm ID. 7/8 ID will be too loose.
    Seven-eighths inch = 22.22 mm so indeed a 7/8" grip might be loose. So I set out to find 22mm grips and found many labeled 7/8" and 22mm. I didn't find any stated as just 22mm but it was not an exhaustive search.

In my experience many sets have two inside diameters: one for the bare bar on the left and one for the larger throttle tube on the right. Usually I have had to stretch each grip a bit to get it in place. That accounts for that quarter-millimeter difference I suppose. I have never had a throttle side grip slip. I have had a grip on a bare bar seem loose.

I have never replaced a set of grips on a BMW equipped with heated grips. I have installed several sets on other BMWs over the years. When I have installed new grips they have tended to be generic grips. I have never seen an aftermarket grip designated specifically for a BMW 22mm bar but I suppose they are out there and somebody buys them. I suppose BMW OEM grips are different.

When I install new grips I make sure the bar surface is clean. I then use a combination lubricant/adhesive sprayed on the inside of the grip. This magic potion is common hair spray found at most any dollar store or other general mercantile establishment. Name brand is not important. Quickness is important. When wet, the spray lubricates and eases sliding the grip into place. Once dried the lacquer acts as an adhesive. If a person dawdles and allows the lacquer to begin to dry before getting the grip in place it is a mess. The grip won't go on and sometimes won't come back off. I have ruined at least one grip this way in the past 30 or so years. I think it was on my Yamaha.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I put Grab On Comfort Grips on the RT and they have lasted a long time! Helps with vibrations also! These replaced the original grips, not installed over them.
    Last edited by PAS; 05-08-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Maybe a bar-tape product like something available at a bicycle shop could take up the slack?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Maybe a bar-tape product like something available at a bicycle shop could take up the slack?
    A quarter millimeter is not much slack. I think in most cases stretching the grip to go over the bar takes up the slack.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/