• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75S won’t start

1986 K75S, 61xxx miles, cranks but won’t start. Stopped for gas while out for a ride, after filling up the bike didn’t immediately start but after a few attempts it started and ran for about 20 seconds then died and wouldn’t restart. It cranks over but doesn’t start. After getting the bike home I checked that the fuel pump runs, preemptively replaced the fuel filter, checked fuel flow from the fuel rail, pulled the spark plugs, found them to be wet and found cylinder 1 wasn’t getting spark; swapped plugs, plug wires and coils, no spark on cylinder 1. Checked the HES, getting continuity between pin 14 of the Montronic connector to the primary connector of #1 coil. Before I start pulling apart the wiring harness looking for a partially open wire I want to ask here for what I may be missing. :scratch

Anytime a K75 fails to start I do two things:
1) Disconnect and reconnect the connector to the LJetronic ECU a few times. **
2) Remove and dry the spark plugs.

However, since this happened at fuel-up there is a very strong possibility that you got a dose of water in the gas. Isoheet in the red bottle - 1/2 bottle in the tank would be my next step.

** How I learned about #1 above. Bike failed to start. No spark. Erratic injection. Stored bike. Rode 689 miles two up. Drove truck and trailer rig 689 miles to get bike. Drove with bike on trailer 689 miles home. With bike still on trailer in condo parking lot did a little more troubleshooting. Looked to see if I could find corrosion or a problem with the ECU connection. I saw none. But as soon as I reconnected the ECU and tried to start the bike it started and ran fine and is still running fine three years later. My most embarrassing troubleshooting failure of all times.

Thank you Paul, that combination did the trick though I drained and dried the tank before refueling. I hadn’t heard about repeatedly resetting the FI control connector. Any rate that combination worked. Thanks again for another enlightening post.

Back