• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tinted cagers windows

ramble

ohbeemer
I prefer to be able to see the others at stop sign intersections but in the case (more often) of dark windows it's impossible. I was taught to yield to the right, but is there a hand signal or whats the best if you arrive at the same time at an intersection? In Ohio they are even allowing tinted windshields.

When in Ontario, the driver to the right has the right of way (that is when drivers remember this law).

I prefer to be able to see the others at stop sign intersections but in the case (more often) of dark windows it's impossible. I was taught to yield to the right, but is there a hand signal or whats the best if you arrive at the same time at an intersection? In Ohio they are even allowing tinted windshields.

Yeah, those tinted windows are almost as annoying as tinted face shields on motorcycles, eh?

The stated rule is that the vehicle on the right gets to go first. The stay-alive rule is don't bet on the stated rule. Be careful.

Most states have laws limiting which windows can be tinted, and by how much. The typical rule is that only the top 5 inches of a windshield may be tinted and front side windows must pass 25% of the light. Rear windows can be darker. Some folks tint front side windows darker than allowed. Some authorities care; some don't seem to care.

"Sometimes" the authorities around here care, but on the other hand, I've seen several black-and-white units, both cars and SUVs, where the windows are so dark that you absolutely CAN NOT see who or what is inside.
I can see Ramble's point; that's actually pretty annoying.

If a hand signal or other communication is desired at a simultaneous stop, I'll usually point straight at the other guy and then wave him on through. That's the stay-alive part.

It's a tough game, some places enforce the tinting rules and some don't. At 4 was stops if 2 vehicles stop at he same time the driver on the right has right of way.

But in the real world you have to be on your toes and watch what is really happening. I will easily wait and let the left car go to make sure I know I an safe to cross.

In Canada if you wave another driver through an intersection etc and they are in an accident you can be charged for directing traffic. Keep your hands to yourself.

Mass- from https://www.motorists.org/blog/mass...nted-windows-but-enforcing-them-is-difficult/

Massachusetts Has Laws on Tinted Windows, but Enforcing Them is Difficult
September 12, 2019 • 1 Comment • Driver's License, LICENSE PLATE, TICKET FINES, Tinted Windows, Tips
By John J. Sheehan car accident attorney at the Law Office of John J. Sheehan

Many people in Massachusetts tint the windows of their vehicle, and they may be well within the law. However, many are not, and that is a problem not only for law enforcement but for other drivers, as well.

Massachusetts law on tinted windows states that they must still allow 35 percent of light into the vehicle and many vehicle owners are not abiding by the law. According to the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, 11,000 drivers failed their vehicle inspection in 2018 due to too much tint on their vehicle windows. The question is, what can be done about it?

These windows that are too dark are just one cause of accidents. However, eliminating the problem would also reduce the number of injuries and fatalities that arise from collisions. We cannot get rid of tinted windows completely, so law enforcement must figure out something.

State Police wrote over 4,000 citations in 2018 for tinted windows and are trying to enforce the law. However, while they have the discretion to stop a vehicle for an infraction, their power is limited.

For example, State Police cannot stop vehicles from out-of-state that have a darker tint on their windows than they should. Additionally, more and more manufacturers are releasing models that have darker tint, which makes the problem even tougher for law enforcement.

For the time being, law enforcement will continue to pull over vehicles with Massachusetts license plates and continue to warn drivers about the dangers of too much tint. One of the most important things to keep in mind, law enforcement says, is to never add tint to a vehicle that has manufacturer tint already installed. This will likely make it difficult for the driver to see and could cause a car accident.

Drivers should also remember the fine for having windows too dark is fairly steep. Motorists face a maximum fine of $250, and could even temporarily lose their license.

John Sheehan is a personal injury attorney and founder of the Law Office of John J. Sheehan. A native of Boston, Massachusetts, John Sheehan provides his clients with dedicated legal representation in cases involving car accidents, bus accidents, and wrongful death. He can be found on Twitter and Youtube.

Annual vehicle inspections are supposed to be the cure with the new cameras and what-not. Like excessive rust, tires out past the fenders, annoying loud exhaust, windshield cracks.......actual consistency seems spotty.
:dunno
OM

Junkjohn, thats a good one! Out here in the hinterland they are still trying the wrap their minds around the new fangled traffic circle!! I am always leery of the courteous driver who waves you through when they are clearly the one who has the right of way. It's common to jump lanes going around an intersection, where in a city you would be flat as a pancake.

... I am always leery of the courteous driver who waves you through when they are clearly the one who has the right of way ...

This bugs me too. I mistrust any driver who behaves counter to logic or common practice. Whenever I encounter the lady who is so polite she refuses to budge until everyone else at the intersection has cleared the area, i am really nervous.

I can't believe there are places were two vehicles actually stop.

Right?! :laugh Four cars arrive at a 4-way stop... none stop... miraculously all survive and go on with their day unfazed. Four-way stops appear to have evolved into ersatz roundabouts. :rolleyes

Back