• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ride off stand

I am sure this has been asked before.
Does anyone make a ride off center stand or a modification to oem center stand?
My 1983 R80RT centers and is a pain. I thought the1800 wing was difficult.

I had a ride off stand on my 84 but don't remember who made it.
Maybe Reynolds??

The Reynolds is good for support when on the stand...too hard on the drive train when driven off. And apparently on the body! :stick

Renolds Ride-Off

I had Reynolds ride-offs on a couple of twin shock Airheads, and liked them. They reduce effort to place the bike on / off the center stand by at least 50 percent. If ever necessary to raise the rear wheel off the ground, just put a board down and roll the Reynolds onto it as you lift on the bike, same as deploying the OEM center stand. I did not use them to literally ride off, instead I'd stand up off the seat and move the bike forward. The ride off feature actually works great, but I always thought it put too much strain on the pivot / mount bolts.

Only downside with the Reynolds is if you have a Brown side stand. The Brown will stick out farther, since it jams against the left tip of the Reynolds. With the Brown sticking out farther, ground clearance is reduced in left turns. Put another way, either the Brown or Reynolds is a good mod, but not both together. At least that's my recollection.

Last edited:
Phil's Farkles E-Z Lift

I am sure this has been asked before.
Does anyone make a ride off center stand or a modification to oem center stand?
My 1983 R80RT centers and is a pain. I thought the1800 wing was difficult.
If you still have the GL1800 and still struggling with putting it on the center stand, Phil's E-Z Lift is the answer. It's a well spent $99. Too bad Airheads do not have such an option. Phil is quite the engineer, so maybe we should see if he can make something similar for Airheads.

Ride off

Reynolds made the stands I have one on each of my bikes. Sad part is they are like hens teeth to find. I got my last one from Ebay.

If you do find one make very sure it is stamped with the three digit part number and cross reference it with the number found in old data on the net. They made them for quite a few bikes and they don't interchange. The number should be near the top pivot holes.

I love them for the ease of putting the bikes up onto the center stand. An additional benefit is they are far more stable on the Ride off stand than on the stock stand. Also, I rarely ever use the side stand at all. Since I installed them, I have never had a bike fall over due to the famous BMW retractable side stand, or from sinking into pavement on a hot day. Come to think think of it, for any of the reasons bikes fall over on the center stands or side stands.

As Joe mentioned if you have to have a wheel off the ground, you will have to put a board under the ride off. Changing a rear tire is a pain, but can be done. †hank goodness I haven't had to fix a flat on the side of the road. I can tip the bike over on its side and my wife or another person can pull it out if need be on the side of the road, not fun but not impossible. St.

Only downside with the Reynolds is if you have a Brown side stand. The Brown will stick out farther, since it jams against the left tip of the Reynolds. With the Brown sticking out farther, ground clearance is reduced in left turns. Put another way, either the Brown or Reynolds is a good mod, but not both together. At least that's my collection.

I had both on my 84 without any problems.
Maybe I had to modify something. Too many years ago to remember :)

I have one on my 81 R100RT and love it. I agree it didnt work out with the Brown side stand!

Back