• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 Rally Camping Question

kf4by

Ol' Hoot
I know this is should be considered obvious, but since I haven't seen this stated in any rally info, I won't assume. Will shower facilities be available for tent campers at the rally?

Thanks!

The rally FAQ page says there will be extra shower facilities due to COVID. As is always the case, there will be showers near the tenters.

Thanks Kurt! My bad.... I saw the FAQ "What is the Rally's Covid Policy?" but scanned over it not expecting any camping area discussion. Maybe one day I'll learn to read.....:)

The rally FAQ page says there will be extra shower facilities due to COVID. As is always the case, there will be showers near the tenters.

Kurt - In looking at the rally map it seems like there isn't much room for campers. Will all the tenters be clustered behind the stage as shown on the map, or are there other areas that haven't been labeled? Would pitching tents on grassy areas between buildings be permitted?

Pete

Tent camping

I also thought the tent area looked small, but I also noticed at past rallies that members seem to camp wherever they want, failing to see that no in front of camping. Do to covid postponement my riding partners have changed from two fellow airheads to my wife and our dog, so the campsite is now 2 miles from the rally site at the Extended Stay America Motel and my ride will be the 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro4X ( in case I want to go off road ) I could take the Lincoln but that seems inappropriate for a motorcycle rally.
Back to the subject I am thinking about bringing a tent and setting it up at the rally site because like many MOA members a daytime nap is very often part of my schedule, and I am thinking if I walk 2 miles to motel from rally to take my nap by the time I walk back to site I will need another nap.
I could drive the truck from motel to rally but I know my wife will not be spending much time at the rally and I think that if I suggested that if she wanted to go somewhere she could walk two miles find the truck and go “I WOULD GET THE LOOK “ suggesting that she bring truck back, I am fairly sure that would be a no go.
So I am thinking about taking a possibly limited camping spot and setting up a tent for naps, since I am driving it would be a nice big tent with a nice air bed and chair

I could drive the truck from motel to rally but I know my wife will not be spending much time at the rally and I think that if I suggested that if she wanted to go somewhere she could walk two miles find the truck and go “I WOULD GET THE LOOK “ suggesting that she bring truck back, I am fairly sure that would be a no go.
So I am thinking about taking a possibly limited camping spot and setting up a tent for naps, since I am driving it would be a nice big tent with a nice air bed and chair

There is nothing like roughing it. :)

Kurt - In looking at the rally map it seems like there isn't much room for campers. Will all the tenters be clustered behind the stage as shown on the map, or are there other areas that haven't been labeled? Would pitching tents on grassy areas between buildings be permitted?

Pete
After reading this post I looked at the Google Map picture of this site. It is hard to imagine that the designated area will hold a couple thousand tents or so. It may behoove the Rally Chairs to look into opening other "non-designated" spots as overflow camping should this become an issue.

Last edited:
After reading this post I looked at the Google Map picture of this site. It is hard to imagine that the designated area will hold a couple thousand tents or so. It may behoove the Rally Chairs to look into opening other "non-designated" spots as overflow camping should this become an issue.

I wonder what the deal is with the "No Access" area?

other than... no GS track

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 5.28.58 PM.jpg

That map is a bit misleading as the actual boundaries are not defined. I spent a couple of hours at ExpoPark today measuring areas. The allocation of camping space is a work in progress.

It was 83 degrees in Great Falls today; sunny and mild winds. The forecast high for Thursday and Friday is 34-35 with snow showers.

The area to the upper right doesn't look inviting for camping given this image...don't know when it was taken. Street view indicates that it's a bunch of horse barns. I wonder if camping is allowed inside the race track?
ExpoPark.jpg

When we were there yesterday it seemed like there may be some construction going on. Didn't try very hard to penetrate the cloak of secrecy.

showers for campers

Camped at many rallies. Showered usually in the middle of the night with no lines and dry by the time I walk back to the tent.

Once the "shower truck" was turned off from something like midnight to 5 am, a bad idea.

Shade? By the time I go to bed, the earth has blocked all the sun and my tent is in the shade of the earth, usually called night. I don't need to be under a tree etc. Bloomsburg PA, SLC UT . . . some rally hot days but the nights were OK.

Back