• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

License plate mounting question

djdixon

OK, this may be a foolish first question, but here goes. What is the proper screw / bolt to mount a license plate on a 2006 R1200RT? The screws that are currently being used on my new (to me) bike appear to be sheet metal screws. I somehow doubt that BMW would use just regular old Phillips head sheet metal screws. I tried looking on the microfiche but couldn't find them listed. I would like to get some security type screws (I have a disability plate on the bike) but I need to know what the correct screw / bolt is first. :banghead

Here is what I use…purchased at a local motorcycle shop. Have yet to have anyone steal a license plate

https://www.amazon.com/Reflector-Motorcycle-License-Plate-Bolts/dp/B06XJTN661

You could purchase some security torx bolts and nuts like these at a local auto parts or hardware store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Theft...icense-Plate-Frame-Bolts-Screws-/182429092903 or

https://www.losspreventionfasteners.com/automotive/

Sometimes security items like this are a pain…just need to weigh the risks.

I use M5 or M6 Allen head bolts with 10mm nuts and lockwashers. Sometimes I use blue thread locker. I do it with metric fasteners because those are the tools I carry in the bike. And some low-lifes probably don't have a good 10mm wrench or a set of metric Allen wrenches with them. Unless of course they drive a hopped-up Honda Civic. However, I have been driving and riding multiple bikes for 62 years and have never had a license plate stolen. But I have spent most of my life living in small cities or rural areas in the Great Plains and not the urban jungles many folks find attractive or necessary places to live.

Last edited:
OK, this may be a foolish first question, but here goes. What is the proper screw / bolt to mount a license plate on a 2006 R1200RT? The screws that are currently being used on my new (to me) bike appear to be sheet metal screws. I somehow doubt that BMW would use just regular old Phillips head sheet metal screws. I tried looking on the microfiche but couldn't find them listed. I would like to get some security type screws (I have a disability plate on the bike) but I need to know what the correct screw / bolt is first. :banghead

Mine have also been replaced by some stainless screws - size is 5 by ~25mm, so BMW OEM I believe would be part number 46 62 7 652 556 (FILLISTER HEAD SCREW - M6X25-A2-80)

Mine have also been replaced by some stainless screws - size is 5 by ~25mm, so BMW OEM I believe would be part number 46 62 7 652 556 (FILLISTER HEAD SCREW - M6X25-A2-80)

Ah, I did see the Fillister head screws on microfiche (with a quantity of 4) and wondered if they were the ones. The fiche on the license plate frame isn't very clear on that point. What driver is used for those screws - Phillips, T-20 Torx or ??

Thank you very much!

Ah, I did see the Fillister head screws on microfiche (with a quantity of 4) and wondered if they were the ones. The fiche on the license plate frame isn't very clear on that point. What driver is used for those screws - Phillips, T-20 Torx or ??

Thank you very much!

Yep! They appear to be Torx from what I can see on Max BMW's part fiche.

They did indeed provide "sheet metal" screws to be screwed into plastic. My Porsche does too.

On my bike, I drilled through and now use nuts and bolts. I installed the BMW flashing brake light so more weight ... If you're really anal, you can use Security TORX.

Back