Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Burning oil; dealer says it happens, does it?

My 2005 Hexhead used a fair amount of oil and this seems to be pretty normal.

My 2016 wethead does not use a drop of oil. No oil use seems to be normal for wetheads.

I would get the oil use issue for your wethead documented with the service dept. Is the bike still under warranty?
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

My old 2005 RT used about 300 to 400cc of oil every 6 thousand miles which is not a big deal. It did that consistently over the life of the bike. It had a 13k on when I sold it.

My current bike, a 2019 R1250RT has just over 14k and it uses no oil at all. From what I have read, this is the experience for most wethead owners I think.
    Scott Taranovich
    McKinney, Texas
    2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by Realshelby View Post
    That is NOT typical of a Wethead. These don't use oil from day one. This is the first one I have heard of.

QUOTE=LFarling;1248343]I have to agree and was hesitant to reply so. I have never used a drop of oil on either of my boxer motors the 15 RT and now the 17.5 GS. Never. [/QUOTE]

Thanks Realshelby and LFarling, I am of the same thought. It makes no sense to me. This isn't 1920, it's 2020. Engine design and construction has advanced so much that it is difficult to believe that an engine today had these issues.

I'm kind of pissed, bought a low mile bike only to find this issue... I don't know what could have happened during break-in that would have created this issue...

Burning oil; dealer says it happens, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRyder View Post
    QUOTE=LFarling;1248343]I have to agree and was hesitant to reply so. I have never used a drop of oil on either of my boxer motors the 15 RT and now the 17.5 GS. Never.
    Thanks Realshelby and LFarling, I am of the same thought. It makes no sense to me. This isn't 1920, it's 2020. Engine design and construction has advanced so much that it is difficult to believe that an engine today had these issues.

I'm kind of pissed, bought a low mile bike only to find this issue... I don't know what could have happened during break-in that would have created this issue...[/QUOTE]

Iíve read that if you break them in too gently (by strictly adhering to the manufacturerís instructions) that the rings never seat well, so you end up burning oil. I may have done that with my new Harley.

It burns almost a quart in between EACH oil change (no oil leaks), and I now have over 23,000 miles on it. I change it at 3,000 miles for mineral oil and 5,000 for synthetic. Dealer said Harley considers burning one quart every 1,000 miles as normal. Really? But, of course itís air cooled, with larger internal tolerances, but it still seems excessive to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 2015 RT has never used a drop of oil between changes. I bought the bike as a demo with 600 miles on it and I'm sure it was "ridden like it was stolen" during it's demo life. I suspect that helped seat the rings quickly.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

The bike is called a Wethead for a reason. The "water" cooling is in fact circulating through the heads only, but not through or around the cylinders. This video by BMW shows the coolant flow through the heads at the 1:40 mark, and then shows the air cooling of the cylinders. (And it is a fun video to see how the parts all fit together too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-YIC01j1CE

So the closer machining clearances found on modern fully water cooled engines are in fact not present in the piston to cylinder fit. This is what makes cylinder break in critical even on this supposedly water cooled engine.

Despite all of the testimonials from owners with this model bikes that don't burn any oil, I stand by my opinion the the OP bike burns oil because of the manner in which it was broken-in. Whether this can be remedied now remains an open question.

But no, I don't agree with the dealership that this is "normal".
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

The question is, is it excessive oil burning or not? A quart in 6K isn't excessive, a quart per 1K is. How much oil does it burn?
    I would also do a compression leak test just to be sure it isn't a bigger problem, like cracked a piston.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT