• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Early summer road and camp conditions near Sisters OR

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
On our way from Vermont to the Montana Rally Glenlivet and I will be spending a few days along the NORCAL and southern Oregon coastline. When we turn east from Reedsport OR in mid-June the preferred route would be east to Eugene, Hwy 58 to Westfir, then north over a very pretty stretch of road to McKenzie Bridge. (I don't remember the name of the road but it follows the N and S Forks of the Willamette River.)

From McKenzie Bridge I'd like to take 242 over McKenzie Pass to Sisters. Another option would be Hwy 126 north and east over Santiam Pass to Sisters then Redmond/Prineville where we'd pick up US 26 and continue east to Idaho.

Two questions:

1. Are all of those roads typically open by our target date of June 16th?
  2. Are campgrounds/tent sites in that area typically available FCFS midweek that time of year?

Pete and Glenlivet

Should be yes on both accounts regarding the highways. On occasion, I’ve found 242 open as early as Memorial Day, but not usually. 126 should be open but with a lot more traffic. There’s a USFS campground on 126 just west of Sisters that should have available camping. As you head east, in John Day there’s a campground as part of the fairgrounds in town. That’s where the Chief Joseph Rally takes place (when there isn’t a pandemic). Have a good trip.

Should be yes on both accounts regarding the highways. On occasion, I’ve found 242 open as early as Memorial Day, but not usually. 126 should be open but with a lot more traffic. There’s a USFS campground on 126 just west of Sisters that should have available camping. As you head east, in John Day there’s a campground as part of the fairgrounds in town. That’s where the Chief Joseph Rally takes place (when there isn’t a pandemic). Have a good trip.

If you see a bright yellow GSA sidecar rig passing through Riggins on Friday June 18th be sure to wave. That leg comes just after a planned two day break for Glenlivet, one of the few occasions I'm sure I'll be somewhere on a particular day.

Appreciate the feedback!

Pete

Unfortunately, I’ll be back in the lake states at the same time, on my eml, or I’d enjoy meeting you and offer you an Glenlivet a place to over night on your way through.

I’ll be heading east across the northern plains on 6/7, returning home before the July Fourth traffic hits the highway. I’ll be traveling some of the route you described coming up the CA coast and back across OR in a couple of weeks, leaving home 5/17, and getting back 5/22.

Much as I’d like to make Great Falls, I’m not ready for the rally crowds yet. For sure next year though.

Safe travels. I enjoy reading of your adventures.

Currently, the DOT says Mackenzie pass is officially scheduled to open on June 21, 2021, but it appears they are making some pretty good progress with the road plowed now between Sisters and the summit. Here's a good site for updates:

http://eurosports.us/mckenzie_pass_update

If the pass opens and you're able to travel it, do be careful as there are numerous very tight switchbacks (especially on the west side of the pass) and people don't always stay in their lane when coming around them. It's a nice stop at the top with plenty of parking for an informative visit to the observatory with spectacular views. Santiam Pass (Hwy 126) stays open year around so you'll have no issue taking it if Hwy 242 is closed.

You'll pass the turn (left if you're going east) west of Sisters for Camp Sherman. There are several forest service campgrounds along the Metolius River in the Camp Sherman area. They are likely to be pretty busy in June, but you may get lucky and nab a spot. Very nice camping and Glenlivet will enjoy a cool down in the river. :D

I would offer you and Glenlivet a place to stay in Bend (my English Cream golden retriever Fynlee would love a play partner), but we will be out of town camping in Durango during that time. Enjoy your visit to beautiful Central Oregon!

If you see a bright yellow GSA sidecar rig passing through Riggins on Friday June 18th be sure to wave. That leg comes just after a planned two day break for Glenlivet, one of the few occasions I'm sure I'll be somewhere on a particular day.

Appreciate the feedback!

Pete

Hey Pete,
I PM’d you yesterday.
gp

Back