• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Connecticut to Blue Ridge Parkway advice.

morgie

Starting to plan ride from Ct to BRP,have done Skyline Trail and interested in joining parkway south of Roanoke, from Ct will slab it on 84 to Scranton.Then 81 to 80 to 99.Was thinking of getting on 220 in Cumberland Md and following it south to Roanoke. Get on BRP there or at NC line.My intent is to finish southern portion of BRP,Tail of Dragon ,Jack Daniel's Distillery then home.Early planning stages but wanted to reach out for any route recommendations. Is route 220 a descent motorcycle road?

Starting to plan ride from Ct to BRP,have done Skyline Trail and interested in joining parkway south of Roanoke, from Ct will slab it on 84 to Scranton.Then 81 to 80 to 99.Was thinking of getting on 220 in Cumberland Md and following it south to Roanoke. Get on BRP there or at NC line.My intent is to finish southern portion of BRP,Tail of Dragon ,Jack Daniel's Distillery then home.Early planning stages but wanted to reach out for any route recommendations. Is route 220 a descent motorcycle road?

What timeframe were you planning this trip for, how many days what month
Jerry

Following are links to some resources about others' opinions of good motorcycling roads -

https://www.motorcycleroads.com/motorcycle-rides-in/north-carolina

https://www.motorcyclenerd.com/post...n-north-carolina-guide-routes-north-carolina/

https://www.blueridgemotorcycling.com/ride-maps/

Folks interests vary so what may appeal to some may not to others. For me, the Deals Gap route is of little interest. There are too many "idjits" on that route and it is quite likely to encounter an on-coming vehicle in your lane. The Blue Ridge Parkway has a 45 mph speed limit and the curves are nearly all of a constant radius and this is a nice relaxing ride. Stop often and take in the scenery. Viewing scenery while riding is not advisable. There are many, many routes proximate to the BRP that are as technically difficult as Deals Gap but lack much traffic. Some maintain a 55 mph speed limit which is nearly impossible to achieve (safely!!). For example, on the BRP at Tuggles Gap (mile marker ~165) Rt 8 to the south is good, then take Rt 58 north back to the BRP. Head back north for a couple of miles to Mabry Mill (said to be the most photographed location on the BRP). There are a lot of roads coming off the mountains that require a lot of focus and generally the roads are paved and in good condition and during weekdays have little traffic. There are a lot of gravel roads in the area as well. The Garmin GPS is not particularly wonderful about clearly and accurately indicating non-paved roads so some caution is advised.

https://www.nps.gov/carto/app/#!/maps/alphacode/BLRI
https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/parkway-map/
https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/maps.htm

I find the back roads to be far more interesting than the "super". The pace is a good deal slower, however.

graham-mabry-mill-spring.jpeg

Last edited:
Wanted to go this September but looks like next spring.So much info trying to narrow it down.Always have gone north with exception of Gettysburg a couple of times.Have a couple of shorter trips planned next couple months.Deals gap isn't a priority I dont like the yahoo attractions and don't stop in one spot very long.Appreciate feedback and will use it all.Need to tell myself its not the only ride I can make to that area. It sounds like great riding.Made "pandemic purchase " I call it and bought new Rt over winter anxious to put some miles on it.

interested in joining parkway south of Roanoke,
.Was thinking of getting on 220 in Cumberland Md and following it south to Roanoke.?

A little NE of Roanoke is a good motel in Buchanan.
We have stayed at the Wattstull several times.
They have a restaurant down the hill you can walk to.
A short ride on 43 will hook you up with the Parkway near the Peaks of Otter Lodge.

https://wattstullinn.com/lodging/

P1030189.JPG

P1030202.JPG

You can see the restaurant looking over the pool.
P1020449.JPG

If you want to avoid I-81 (you do) and still make decent time then 220 is a good choice. I'd take it to I-81 near Roanoke and then take 81 to VA 8 a few miles south of Christiansburg. Take VA 8 to Floyd (very cool small town and Kathy makes her bag liners there) and on to the BRP.

Should I pick up 220 close to Scranton Pa or slab it farther south and pick 220 up over line in Maryland into WV.If 220 will be nice ride vs 81,80and 99 I dont mind. .Wont be in a hurry but feel like I should get more south sooner than later then slow it down.

Should I pick up 220 close to Scranton Pa or slab it farther south and pick 220 up over line in Maryland into WV.If 220 will be nice ride vs 81,80and 99 I dont mind. .Wont be in a hurry but feel like I should get more south sooner than later then slow it down.

I'd get on 220 at Bedford, PA, but that's me.

If you stay on 220 you can see Spring Falls from a pullout on 220 north of Covington, Va.

P1020415.JPG

West of town is the Humpback Bridge.

Humpback covered bridge is located 3 miles (4.3 km) west of Covington, Virginia adjacent to U.S. Highway 60 off Rumsey Road (SR 600). Exit number 10 in Virginia off of Interstate 64 is less than 1 mile (1.6 km) from the bridge site. The wayside park includes a parking area, restrooms, a picnic area and access to Dunlap Creek.

P1020411.JPG

P1020413.JPG

If you want to avoid I-81 (you do) and still make decent time then 220 is a good choice. I'd take it to I-81 near Roanoke and then take 81 to VA 8 a few miles south of Christiansburg. Take VA 8 to Floyd (very cool small town and Kathy makes her bag liners there) and on to the BRP.

I agree. And not far from Floyd, at Meadows of Dan, is a great place to stay, Willville motorcycle campground. http://www.willvillebikecamp.com

Congrats on the new ride. When I traded my 2014 in for a 2019, I spent a good part of the month of June 2019 riding the Appalachian Mountains including the BRP, and had a fantastic time.

If you have the time, I'd suggest you give some thought to making as much of the ride "part of the journey" and reducing the superslab as much as time permits, but that is my preference. Certainly, there are enough great roads, places, and sights to keep you busy for an entire riding season, and more, along that route and you will need to make value judgments galore just to keep the time frame within any sort of reasonable window.

For me, I gathered all the spots and routes that were of interest (far too many) and started to eliminate them based on my specific criteria and how well each fitted into the overall plan. Now I just have the Newfoundland section of the Appalachians to do and I will have done the complete mountain range from Birmingham, AL to its northern tip in Newfoundland (from AL to NL). ;-)

Before I go a Russell Day Long will be in order,went north to Lake Placid,NY for three days and found Rt seat to be very uncomfortable. Even with sheepskin.Wife and I were leaving to come home from NY last Friday,loaded up bike and had notice on dash that rear tire was low on air,went immediately to put air in and as I did noticed shiny screw head sticking out of tire,a little saliva( bubbles ) and I wanted to scream. We were 300 miles from home and wasn't ready for this issue.Fortunatley there was a mobile station 100 yards away,they were amazing, guy plugged tire and was on road in twenty minutes.His guage was off as he put 54 pounds of pressure in tire but I quickly fixed that.Took main roads home at reasonable pace.Could have been alot worse as we were on some pretty remote roads in Adirondacks.

Starting to plan ride from Ct to BRP,have done Skyline Trail and interested in joining parkway south of Roanoke, from Ct will slab it on 84 to Scranton.Then 81 to 80 to 99.Was thinking of getting on 220 in Cumberland Md and following it south to Roanoke.

If you need a shop for anything, Frontline BMW in Salem is a good stop.
Salem is on the north side of Roanoke.

P1030212.JPG

311 north of Roanoke to Paint Bank is a fun road.
Paint Bank General Store is a good place to eat.

P1030208.JPG

I picked up a "00 R1100RT in Greenwich , CT and just got home. I slabbed it to Front Royal and skylined it. Then I jumped back on interstates, 81 and 59 were fine. Some not so fine. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Lee, you are riding some of my pavement. You have a knack for finding good, lesser traveled roads. By the way, I have not used Frontline often, but have been there a few times and had good experiences. Ride on.

By the way, I have not used Frontline often, but have been there a few times and had good experiences. Ride on.

We stopped a couple times just for the heck of it. Friendly sales and parts staff.
Shortly before we stopped there the last time two shops local to us had the Streetguard gear at 1/2 price.
Debbie was able to buy both pants and Jacket but the shops did not have pants for me in my size.
I asked the Frontline parts guy if they planned to put theirs on clearance.
He said he was planning on changing out the Streetguard gear for other stuff and could give me a discount. His price was slightly higher but he shipped it home for us free and no tax.

Before I go a Russell Day Long will be in order,went north to Lake Placid,NY for three days and found Rt seat to be very uncomfortable. Even with sheepskin.Wife and I were leaving to come home from NY last Friday,loaded up bike and had notice on dash that rear tire was low on air,went immediately to put air in and as I did noticed shiny screw head sticking out of tire,a little saliva( bubbles ) and I wanted to scream. We were 300 miles from home and wasn't ready for this issue.Fortunatley there was a mobile station 100 yards away,they were amazing, guy plugged tire and was on road in twenty minutes.His guage was off as he put 54 pounds of pressure in tire but I quickly fixed that.Took main roads home at reasonable pace.Could have been alot worse as we were on some pretty remote roads in Adirondacks.

and that is why i always carry at tire plug kit and mini-pump with me....

Back