• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 MOA Rally: Great Falls, Montana, 24-27 June Riding from Nashville

singlemalt

I am planning on riding out to Great Falls from Nashville area.
Probably leaving June 19/20? Then spend some time riding in the area before the rally. Black Hills, Glacier National Park, Bad Lands, Custer Battlefield...
Gravel roads as well.

Looking for fellow riders.
R1200GS

To or from the Blackhills

Singlemalt:

If you want to get off the slab either going to or coming from the Blackhills, take a look at riding Nebraska Hwy 2 from Grand Island NE to Alliance NE. You will bisect the Sandhills region of Nebraska. It's the second largest sand dune area in the world. Fortunately it's covered with grass and has abundant water. (You'll see where the best beef in the world starts) If you grew up living in a wooded area it will be a bit of a shock to you. But it's a great ride that I'm sure others here will agree with.

NE state 2

Singlemalt:

If you want to get off the slab either going to or coming from the Blackhills, take a look at riding Nebraska Hwy 2 from Grand Island NE to Alliance NE. You will bisect the Sandhills region of Nebraska. It's the second largest sand dune area in the world. Fortunately it's covered with grass and has abundant water. (You'll see where the best beef in the world starts) If you grew up living in a wooded area it will be a bit of a shock to you. But it's a great ride that I'm sure others here will agree with.

I have run NE state rte 2. It is lonely. Make sure you have gas. Most stops will give you free coffee. AND, once you get to Alliance, which epitomises nowhere, you have GOT to see CARHENGE!!!
A bunch of old ramblers painted battleship grey arranged like stonehenge, it is a hoot!!!

MADDOG BG Chair, but not this year:drink The beer must flow

I have run NE state rte 2. It is lonely. Make sure you have gas. Most stops will give you free coffee. AND, once you get to Alliance, which epitomises nowhere, you have GOT to see CARHENGE!!!
A bunch of old ramblers painted battleship grey arranged like stonehenge, it is a hoot!!!

MADDOG BG Chair, but not this year:drink The beer must flow

We like that lonely road.

Sand Hills (22).JPG

Sand Hills (17).jpg

Here's a gas station that shows on the GPS in Hyannis, east of Alliance that went out of business. We had fueled early so we were fine.
20200905_103211.jpg

I'm planning on leaving the Northern Black Hills early Tuesday Morning 22 June bound for Red Lodge MT via this circuitous non-interstate and quite scenic route.

I posted this as a reply to this MOA Rally Thread:

I live in the Black Hills. I’d suggest staying off of I-90 leaving the Black Hills.
From Spearfish take US 85 North to Belle Fourche SD, turn left at the first stop sign on SD 34, and head west into Wyoming. SD34 turns into WY 24 and will lead you to Hullett WY, great photo opp at the Golf Course on the left as you enter the town. As you ride through Hulett (Population 600) think about the 150,000 visitors that will be here on Wednesday for the Ham & Jam during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. From Hulett WY head South past Devils Tower NM, a great stop. From Devils Tower continue South to US 14 and turn West, stay on US 14 to Moorcroft WY, and then on to Gillette WY a good place to top off your tank and your stomach.
From Gillette take US 14/16 out of town and head for Spotted Horse WY, a place to stop for a drink and a burger. Continue on US 14/16 to UCross and then head to Buffalo WY. Fuel at Buffalo before heading over the Bighorns via the Cloud Peak Skyway (US-16) and the Ten Sleep Canyon to Ten Sleep WY.
From Ten Sleep head Northwest on the Ten Sleep – Hyattville Road along the Nowood River, at Hyattville turn left towards Manderson. As you enter Manderson slow down to the speed limit, there is almost always a city cop running radar. From Manderson head North on US 20 to Greybull WY.
At Greybull turn right (East) onto US 14 and experience the joy of the Shell Canyon. Continue on to Burgess Junction and pick up David’s route for the rest of the ride to Great Falls. If you stay in Red Lodge MT check out the very motorcycle-friendly Alpine Lodge at the North end of town within easy crawling distance of the Red Lodge Brewery. Larry, the owner of the Alpine cooks a mean breakfast to order in the morning. See you in Great Falls or along this route or at the Alpine on Tuesday, June 22nd.

Maddog is correct, west of the Missouri river you see gas you buy gas. In some parts it's easier to buy a beer then gas. And Bigjohnsd is spot on how to stay off the interstates. I'll be riding some of those roads over the Big Horn's on the way home. Here's a couple images from Hwy 2 to "wet your whistle".

IMG_2705.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 157
Singlemalt:

Thank you I'll check out that route

I love reading all the route ideas in these threads!

I’m definitely riding Hwy 2 into Alliance, NE for my first overnight stop. Bummed I’ll miss BigJohn as I took his advice to stay at the Alpine in Red Lodge but on the 23rd instead. Hoping for decent weather that day coming from Greybull, WY and riding Chief Joseph and Beartooth for the first time. Retirement does not suck.

Mark

I love reading all the route ideas in these threads!

I’m definitely riding Hwy 2 into Alliance, NE for my first overnight stop. Bummed I’ll miss BigJohn as I took his advice to stay at the Alpine in Red Lodge but on the 23rd instead. Hoping for decent weather that day coming from Greybull, WY and riding Chief Joseph and Beartooth for the first time. Retirement does not suck.

Mark

In deed, retirement doesn't suck. First time I haven't been limited on how long I can be gone. Starting with 17 days on the road including the time at the rally.

Nashville to Great Falls

Hey , thanks for the info. I started to plan a route. I think I'll go through Alliance on my way to SD. Then work my way across WY.
So many roads so little time...

Back