• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil drip, 88 R100GS

superstamper1

I just bought a 1988 R100 GS with 60,000 miles. I'm getting a little drip of oil on the floor right below the head/cylinder joint on the right side. Is this likely pushrod seals or bad head gasket?

Either a head gasket or valve cover gasket. If it was a pushrod tube seal, it would be near the cylinder base on the engine block.

Hopefully Not Stripped Cylinder Stud

Agree, likely head gasket, rocker cover gasket, or possibly just in need of cylinder head re-torque. I'd first try re-torquing, but use an accurate torque wrench, and be very careful not to strip the threads; the mono shock Airhead studs tend to strip in the aluminum block. For that reason, torque specs have been lowered, and re-torque occasions have been changed. Check your Owners Manual for specifics. Also, lotsa good info on the internet on the problem, as this is not new info, and several BMW gurus have written about it.

I was lucky with the 95 RT, which seeped from both head gaskets soon after I bought it. I first simply re-torqued, but one side leaked again. So, for that side, I backed each bolt off 1/4 turn, then re-torqued. That was about 5000 miles ago and, so far, both remain dry (knock wood).

Too lazy to go dig up my Owners Manual, but pretty sure max torque is now 24 ft lbs, whereas it used to be a bit higher. Also, no longer recommended to re-torque periodically, only when disassembling or to address seepage.

Center stud

I have seen the center valve cover stud get over tightened and stripped out causing just such a leak. St.

Back