• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2021 MOA Rally Picture Thread

So am I, but I take the card out of my camera, hook it up to a gadget on my phone, copy the pics to the phone and then to the cloud. Instant backup.

Upload a few to IG & FB, the rest are edited and used for other purposes later

As a member of the MOA, I get greater personal reward by making other members feel a greater sense of belonging by showing them what's happening at the rally right now, not 90 days later. :)

Also used to do this same thing from BMW press events, but I no longer contribute to the BMW ON.

Thanks for the links! I sometimes wonder how much social clout / traction I lose out on by not posting photos from a ride / rally as it's happening. No one has ever complained in the comments. I have ride reports that come out a month after the ride but I tell people who are hungry for content that my Flickr has all of the photos a few days after the trip if they really want to browse - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjackson/?

But if you look at this Flickr Album versus this Ride-report and the YouTube playlist, I personally think the ride report is a much more pleasant experience:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjackson/albums/72157715852811166
https://advrider.com/f/threads/3-blokes-from-new-hampshire-visit-colorado-and-utah-2020.1469006/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc-rhUVUGj8v6ufyko7a0VDKQ9MplBuni

but everyone these days wants to know what's going on this moment even if the quality is a little lower.

... but everyone these days wants to know what's going on this moment even if the quality is a little lower.

Well, not everyone, but I can tell you that many do like a real-time teaser followed by progressively deeper detail. fwiw, it amplifies the return on the effort invested in creating the content.

Also true, as you say, but somewhat of a bummer..... too many people do not appreciate graphically exquisite content, or even realize they're experiencing it.

If we ever meet in person, remind me to tell you the story of Zen and the Ride to Redmond. ;)

Well, not everyone, but I can tell you that many do like a real-time teaser followed by progressively deeper detail. fwiw, it amplifies the return on the effort invested in creating the content.

Also true, as you say, but somewhat of a bummer..... too many people do not appreciate graphically exquisite content, or even realize they're experiencing it.

If we ever meet in person, remind me to tell you the story of Zen and the Ride to Redmond. ;)

Sounds good and I just spent a little too much time going through that page. That's a fantastic rally resource page....everything anyone would need in one place.

Sounds good and I just spent a little too much time going through that page. That's a fantastic rally resource page....everything anyone would need in one place.

Done in the days of very low bandwidth, and since there was only one Internet line for the entire rally, we got up at 4am to post the previous day’s pics. Another “what a difference 20 years makes” thing.

Good times! :dance

I've volunteered the past few years to be an additional shooter for the magazine during the rally, and then turn them over to Bill. And have volunteered again for Great Falls. I don't post images to social media while I'm on the road. I don't want to broadcast where I am...and more importantly where I'm not. That way I can maintain OPS SEC. Right Ranger Reece?

Will try to post some on my way to rally if I can!!

Here some photos from Tennessee ...
cb0238dfc1ab8d9ef5fad2eb5a43a44e.jpg

8c817d49d12f9e3c84b47d31f8f0194c.jpg

Many ways to the Rally

For the people who would like to avoid main highways we do have a few remote roads to ride including a few with ferries.

Attachments

• McClellandStafford Ferry.JPG
    McClellandStafford Ferry.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 487
  • Riding Section Lines.jpg
    Riding Section Lines.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 488
Road to Ferry

Looks really nice road!! Do you have any gpx tracks??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're kind of a luddite crew and we don't use GPS (I was a cartographer so I prefer paper) so I'm sorry to say we don't have any tracks. However, if you're looking to take a ferry to Great Falls and you're travelling on US Highway 2 turn south at Chinook, MT: https://goo.gl/maps/rMKmerV23CmrEhHy6

There is no gas between Chinook and Winifred and the roads are impassible if wet.

The first image is a few miles south looking at the Bears Paw Mountains in northcentral Montana. The second image was taken a few miles north of the Stafford Ferry (the Missouri Breaks).

Attachments

• South of Cleveland.jpg
    South of Cleveland.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 453
  • A ride through the Bear Paws.jpg
    A ride through the Bear Paws.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 449
Geez, you guys start to pack that early? A few days earlier I look around, see if I need anything, and start making a pile the day before. I figure if I forget anything I can buy it on the road, (rarely happens!)

Rain gear, bug spray and sunscreen is always on the bike, so most of the times I just toss some clothes and toiletries in a bag and go.

Also, you guys will have to do without me. I was thinking about going, heck, I retired this spring, but other stuff got in the way.

What do pack in your tail bags?

Heated jacket liner or a unheated liner. If we don't take the Warm N Safe waterproof heated liner a thin rain coat to wear at end of day if needed. (We take the heated liner on most trips)
Gloves.
Saddles
Water jug
Microfiber and cleaner for face shield
Sun block
flash light
Extra rok straps
Ear plugs
Zip locks
COVID stuff
Beer I didn't drink the night before :)

We're kind of a luddite crew and we don't use GPS (I was a cartographer so I prefer paper) so I'm sorry to say we don't have any tracks. However, if you're looking to take a ferry to Great Falls and you're travelling on US Highway 2 turn south at Chinook, MT: https://goo.gl/maps/rMKmerV23CmrEhHy6

There is no gas between Chinook and Winifred and the roads are impassible if wet.

The first image is a few miles south looking at the Bears Paw Mountains in northcentral Montana. The second image was taken a few miles north of the Stafford Ferry (the Missouri Breaks).
This maybe a nice day ride from Grant Falls? May have to take a day off from the rally and make a loop out of this one! What ya think? Richard

On this route, 16 miles south of Chinook is the Bear Paw Battlefield, Nez Perce National Historic Site. This is the location where Chief Joseph and a band of Nez Perce, attempting to flee to Canada, surrendered to the U.S. Army. In what is considered one of the most memorable speeches ever, Chief Joseph has been translated to have said:

"I am tired of fighting. Our chiefs are killed. Looking Glass is dead. Tu-hul-hul-sote is dead. The old men are all dead. It is the young men who say yes or no. He who led the young men [Ollokot] is dead. It is cold and we have no blankets. The little children are freezing to death. My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are – perhaps freezing to death. I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find. Maybe I shall find them among the dead. Hear me, my chiefs. I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands I will fight no more forever."

If you are riding across U.S. 2 this is a worthwhile short side trip. We discovered it on a test ride after I replaced the deformed axle tube and rebuilt the rear hub on Voni's F800S in a motel parking lot in Chinook in 2011.

Last edited:
Back