Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MOA Rally Picture Thread

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Cool 2021 MOA Rally Picture Thread

Headed for The Rally?
    Going to be at The Rally?
    Have a way to take a picture?
    Visiting cool 😎 places on your way to and from The Rally?
    Let’s post them up in this thread!
    If you are not sure how to post one here on the forum, click on Mod Squad in my sig line and pick a Moderator to help you out.
    Have a Great Rally
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

TravelsWithBarley.com
    2EF6D9C7-050E-4908-81F0-3C082DB437B1.jpeg

The guest room has become sorting and packing central. The clothes I’m taking have been treated with pyrethrum as has Glenlivet’s sleeping pad to keep fleas and ticks away. Cooking stuff and dehydrated food packed. My First Aid (for little owies) and Oh **** Kit (for trauma) have been refreshed. Maintenance on the sidecar rig is complete. The route from Vermont to the Pacific coast of California and Oregon then back to the rally has been created.

Glenlivet and I start our adventure in three weeks!

Pete

PS - Darn, I forgot to rotate the image!
    Last edited by glenfiddich; 05-08-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet

http://travelswithbarley.com/

I just wanted to say in advance, I’m going to work my bum off at the rally this year to get you all as many photos as I can. My ‘theme’ if I can be so bold as to pre-announce my editorial theme will be “Friendships” I want to really photograph the smiles, moments and candies of people so happy to be back with their friends and smiling faces and just great moments. I hope I get a lot of them. Going to spend 3 full days on foot just photographing moments.

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    2EF6D9C7-050E-4908-81F0-3C082DB437B1.jpeg

The guest room has become sorting and packing central. The clothes I’m taking has been treated with pyrethrum as has Glenlivet’s sleeping pad to keep fleas and ticks away. Cooking stuff and dehydrated food packed. My First Aid (for little owies) and Oh **** Kit (for trauma) have been refreshed. Maintenance on the sidecar rig is complete. The route from Vermont to the Pacific coast of California and Oregon then back to the rally has been created.

Glenlivet and I start our adventure in three weeks!

Pete

PS - Darn, I forgot to rotate the image!
    Too funny !! And I thought I was the only one who uses the guest room as a "staging area" for my trip gear !!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by adamchandler View Post
    I just wanted to say in advance, I’m going to work my bum off at the rally this year to get you all as many photos as I can. My ‘theme’ if I can be so bold as to pre-announce my editorial theme will be “Friendships” I want to really photograph the smiles, moments and candies of people so happy to be back with their friends and smiling faces and just great moments. I hope I get a lot of them. Going to spend 3 full days on foot just photographing moments.
    Great idea.... how about you get a few more interested/talented members members together and reconstitute the Rally Photo Team? Post the stuff on social and here on the Forum, and in our MMS so that people who can't come can enjoy the party. Maybe do some paid posts to reach prospective new members?

Perhaps put together a Keynote show for the Closing Ceremonies?

'

Last edited by Visian; 05-08-2021 at 01:14 PM.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom || '19 CB500X

Don't care who posts but photos are the best! Since we all know without a photo it did not happen
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

I am seeing photos that have to be photoshopped or bootlegged into this thread. I am seeing photos with people who appear less than 40 years old (and I don't mean the Camp Gears folks). These youngsters can't be at an MOA rally can they?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I am seeing photos that have to be photoshopped or bootlegged into this thread. I am seeing photos with people who appear less than 40 years old (and I don't mean the Camp Gears folks). These youngsters can't be at an MOA rally can they?
    The photographer did that intentionally

You can never trust those marketing types...

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Too funny !! And I thought I was the only one who uses the guest room as a "staging area" for my trip gear !!
    Two weeks ago after returning from Texas I washed our stuff and it's waiting in the basement bedroom ready for a trip to Virginia in a couple weeks.

20210508_100104.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Great idea.... how about you get a few more interested/talented members members together and reconstitute the Rally Photo Team? Post the stuff on social and here on the Forum, and in our MMS so that people who can't come can enjoy the party. Maybe do some paid posts to reach prospective new members?

Perhaps put together a Keynote show for the Closing Ceremonies?
    Great photos. I always wait to get back home to edit my pictures then post the best..usually 5% of the ones I take get posted. I hope I can sync up with a few other people and assemble a 'photo team'

Practice

Returned from weekend campout848D612A-D54D-4B31-8C3F-06304A25B4E0.jpg

To much stuff and weight

Great photos. I always wait to get back home to edit my pictures then post the best..usually 5% of the ones I take get posted. I hope I can sync up with a few other people and assemble a 'photo team'
    I am the same way, when it comes to editing.

That said, there’s a lot of brand value in publishing some pics while the rally is on and a team effort would increase the volume. I think it’s important to remember that a lot of members cannot get enough time off work, or simply cannot afford a ride to our rally. Creating a sense of belonging (and involvement) is a central pillar of our brand.

Frankly, we make a huge investment in our rally, and beyond pleasing members who cannot attend, I feel we fail to have a disciplined strategy to leverage the investment into a recruitment effort to make new members. Over the years I have provided our leaders with a number of suggestions for ways to do this... none have been implemented.

We should be doing the same thing with our Getaways. Maybe we could direct our paid staff to expend the effort to assemble/guide these teams of volunteers? There is great strength in numbers.

jmo

Ps -> Chuck Manley, one of my MOA mentors once said “we need to remember that a lot of our members live tire-to-tire.”

Pps -> a closing ceremony show full of pictures from the event is a classic event promotion strategy. If we were to live-stream something like that we could say to the people who put on the *endless* promo videos in our closing ceremonies that we are providing far more reach in return for their investment.
    Last edited by Visian; 05-09-2021 at 11:47 AM.

I always wait to get back home to edit my pictures then post the best..'
    I find it easier to deal with pictures on my computer at home but the last few years I have learned how to resize my pictures on my phone and post a few while on the road.
    This forum is one of the easier ones for me to post pictures from my phone.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post

We should be doing the same thing with our Getaways. Maybe we could direct our paid staff to expend the effort to assemble/guide these teams of volunteers? There is great strength in numbers.
    I wish more people would do a little report with pictures on the Getaways.
    The one member form Arizona with the K1600GT does a great job of this on the Getaways he and his wife attends.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

I agree that people prefer to see a photo of something that 'just happened' thanks to social media. I'm a total luddite when it comes to social media. I'm still shooting with a full frame SLR and a backpack full of lenses and a big tripod. I can edit photos on an iPad but it's just stressful to deliver 'dailies' when I'm just taking photos for fun and not being paid. My instagram account which I only created because people kept asking for it is just photos I've taken whenever..not today but some are months old. I just schedule photos to post to Instagram a month in advance, log out and let the photos auto post.

I personally get a LOT more pride from my ride reports that take a 2 week trip and distill it down to 100 photos, one daily video and one daily blog post from my eyes and make those one post each. It's counter to how people consume content now but I guess to be selfish, I get pride out of my way of delivering media and if it's not how people want it, they don't have to read it :P

So my plan for Montana is shoot photos, get home, edit them and deliver a drop box folder to Bill W and share a few favorites here. If someone wants to swap SD cards with me every day and post / edit my photos, I'd love to partner with someone who wants to do that.

I know the internet is hard to interpret, I'm not being a jerk here I just like to have photo mode and edit mode live separately for me personally. I'm sort of a one-track mind kind of guy when it comes to creative pursuits.