• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1983 R65 front wheel seal How to remove it with that bushing in the way

snitzler

I would like to have a look at the front wheel bearings in my 1983 R65. The seal has a flanged bushing in it that prevents the bushing from coming out.
That means I can't get a seal puller in there. What am I missing, is there a trick to this?

IMG_9374.jpg

Could you show a picture from the side, to see how this "cover" sits on the axle?

Grab the "bushing" with pliers and pull it out. Make sure you have a new wheel seal or two.

Hat Shaped Bushing

As I recall, the bushing/spacer is shaped like a hat, with the brim inside. You can just pop it out with a screwdriver, or pull it out with pliers, as suggested above. If you use a screwdriver, you cock the spacer it sideways in removal, so less likely to destroy the seal Sometimes you can re-use the seal, in a pinch, but it's best to replace with a new one, especially since yours has been painted silver. When you put it back together, pre-install the spacer, then tap the seal in with a socket that fits the outer edge of the seal. The rubber coated type, as you currently have, is almost possible to push it in with the thumbs.

Thanks all, that did it. Yank the bushing out with a pair of pliers. The bearings are smooth and quiet but I don't know the maintenance history of the bike. So I am re greasing the bearings and installing new seals.

IMG_9471.jpg

Back