• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R65 Cold start problem?

10drum

This 82 R65 is hard to start cold, once it starts, it doesn't have to warm up long before it starts easy. I've tried it both ways, choked, and not choked. If I keep the starter actuated, without the choke it will start to fire. I notice the carb kits listed only come with the enricher gaskets. I'll probably buy a couple of kits, but is there anything else I should replace while I have them apart?

Thanks for all replies.

Are you sure that the levers that engage the enricheners are operating correctly? Be sure and check that the levers are going to the full stop when you turn the choke on. As for other parts, typically there's not much other than float bowl gaskets and maybe consider replacing the floats so you're starting fresh.

Sounds like they are adjusted correctly. What do you do with the throttle? I'm not totally sure if it should be cracked a bit when starting or if it should be left completely closed. Any differences in starting when you try different throttle openings?

My old R65 was always hard to start when cold. I found some website that said they ALL were hard to start below 55 degrees. I stuck with that memory and didn't sweat it.

I'm amazed at how easy my R100 starts. Which makes me think I should have done a better job with the R65. Or not.

This is of zero help I'm sure. :)

The story on this bike is, I got it running (carbs built, battery, and tires) for the previous owner about 5 years ago. It had sat for many years. he rode it a few times, then it sat for another 5 years. He died suddenly, and I purchased from his widow. I just dropped the bowls and cleaned the jets. Yesterday I pulled the carbs and pulled the enrichers/aux carb, cleaned all those parts up as well. It started ok after that, so hopefully that was all it needed. I've only had two other BMW's, both /5's. the R60/5 had slide carbs and it's started easy, even when cold, not so with the CV carbs on the R75/5, or this R65. I do like the the handling of this R65 much better than the /5's, so maybe I'll keep it???? These are wonderful machines, but I'm so accustomed to my old British stuff, I guess I just need to ride this more???

Thanks for the replies.

So just remember that with slide carbs, the throttle controls the slide itself in the carb. For CV carbs, the throttle controls the butterfly valve that is "after" the throat of the carb.

The more I think about my CV carbs, there is a start circuit for fuel that is built in...probably different than the older slide carbs. IIRC there are ports on the CV carbs that are after the butterfly valve which are there for starting. Methinks that you should not touch the throttle while trying to start the R65...that defeats the purpose of the start circuit.

Methinks that you should not touch the throttle while trying to start the R65...that defeats the purpose of the start circuit.

That may be the case, because the enricher port does bypass the throttle plate. The natural tendency on carburated engines is to pump the throttle while starting. I really liked the bing slides that were on the R60/5, they had a little accelerator pump, you could just twist the throttle a couple of times when it was cold, and it'd start right up.

Back