Thread: 2020 R1250 RT exhaust mods?

2020 R1250 RT exhaust mods?

I just picked up a 2020 RT after selling my XR and Iím missing the roar of the exhaust; has anyone modified a stock RT exhaust, or do I need to pursue aftermarket upgrades?

TIA,
    Kevin Long

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Canít help you other than warn you about the attack of the exhaust note crowd
    Ford doesnít make the Mustang sound like it does because people hate it
    Let us know how you make out.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

You might be able to make it louder, but will never "roar".

A kazoo will never sound like a tuba.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Buy aftermarket, donít modify

Iíve always liked a little more bark for my bikes, not Harley obnoxious but louder than stock. This is the only aftermarket pipe I came up with in a 30 minute search. I have purchased exhaust from them before and they had unbelievably good service, but this was pre COVID-19 so YMMV. Hereís the link, https://emlineamoto.com/en/s-b12so21-halagt.html. I have never achieved good sound quality by drilling holes or even cutting apart stock mufflers and gutting them. The bonus for buying new is that at trade-in time you can put your unmodified mufflers back on and sell your aftermarket piece to someone else. I bought aftermarket cans for my 2018 BMW Bagger from a company in England called Max Torque Cans, absolutely the best sound that you can imagine from that six cylinder. The cackle and burble using the quick shifter has to be heard to be believed. Dominator R from makes some very interesting products that are amazingly low priced for the quality received. Attached is a photo of their can for my 2020 R1250R, I made the exhaust hanger straps out of aluminum, a great little retirement project for me. Good luck in your quest!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Igotone2 View Post
    Iíve always liked a little more bark for my bikes, not Harley obnoxious but louder than stock. This is the only aftermarket pipe I came up with in a 30 minute search. I have purchased exhaust from them before and they had unbelievably good service, but this was pre COVID-19 so YMMV. Hereís the link, https://emlineamoto.com/en/s-b12so21-halagt.html. I have never achieved good sound quality by drilling holes or even cutting apart stock mufflers and gutting them. The bonus for buying new is that at trade-in time you can put your unmodified mufflers back on and sell your aftermarket piece to someone else. I bought aftermarket cans for my 2018 BMW Bagger from a company in England called Max Torque Cans, absolutely the best sound that you can imagine from that six cylinder. The cackle and burble using the quick shifter has to be heard to be believed. Dominator R from makes some very interesting products that are amazingly low priced for the quality received. Attached is a photo of their can for my 2020 R1250R, I made the exhaust hanger straps out of aluminum, a great little retirement project for me. Good luck in your quest!
    Nice job on those straps it looks very professional. It looks OEM to me.

I run a Remus 8 with Akropovic headers on my 17.5 GS and love it.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

I'm leaning in your direction

Kevin:

Yeah, I sorta' have the same itch. I'm not a fan of the looks of the BIG chrome tapered cylinder OEM unit. For my black (blue in the sunlight) '18 RT I'm thinking a black can would look better. I don't mind the stock muffler's sound, but wouldn't mind were it to be a bit more euphonious.

I put a pair of Yoshimuras on my previous FJR and loved the result. No perceptible change in power or handling but they looked better and made the Yamaha sound like a motorcycle instead of an Allis-Chalmers tractor. I kept the dB killers in; great sound without scaring the horses or annoying the neighbors. A completely irrational purchase that pleased me greatly. I'm looking at the Arrow and Remus units that Revzilla offers.

Don't know if I'll do it; to my mind it the FJR was screaming for it while on the RT I think of it more as a "nice" change.

Good luck whatever you decide!
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

I put the Akrapovic pipe on my RT and have been very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by coachz View Post
    I put the Akrapovic pipe on my RT and have been very happy with it.
    I don't recall ever reading or hearing of someone disappointed in their Akrapovic. My only gripe is that I don't like the flared shape, similar to the OEM, of the unit for the RT. If it were constant cross-section shape from front to rear it would be at the top of my list.
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

Quote Originally Posted by stooie View Post
    Kevin:

Yeah, I sorta' have the same itch. I'm not a fan of the looks of the BIG chrome tapered cylinder OEM unit. For my black (blue in the sunlight) '18 RT I'm thinking a black can would look better. I don't mind the stock muffler's sound, but wouldn't mind were it to be a bit more euphonious.

I put a pair of Yoshimuras on my previous FJR and loved the result. No perceptible change in power or handling but they looked better and made the Yamaha sound like a motorcycle instead of an Allis-Chalmers tractor. I kept the dB killers in; great sound without scaring the horses or annoying the neighbors. A completely irrational purchase that pleased me greatly. I'm looking at the Arrow and Remus units that Revzilla offers.

Don't know if I'll do it; to my mind it the FJR was screaming for it while on the RT I think of it more as a "nice" change.

Good luck whatever you decide!
    Thanks Bob - I've had Remus (VStroms), Two Brothers (Honda ST1300), and some factory upgrades (Victory) but never an Akrapovic, etc. Guess I need to get to some events to listen to them.

Thx!
    KevinL