Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: My May Day Ride - a serendipitous adventure!

  1. #1
    '14 R1200 GS Adv bigjohnsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Black Hills, SD
    Posts
    649

    My May Day Ride - a serendipitous adventure!

    I left the house this morning having absolutely no idea where I intended to go.
    I thought about making my Bighorns Loop but with weax coming from the West I didn't want to run into snow at high altitude on the two passes.

    Instead, I worked my way north and east to Broadus MT - "The Wavingest Town" with the intention of eating breakfast at the sole cafe in town. The cafe was jammed - 20 pickups and 5 semis parked in front and a line out the door.

    I headed down MT/WY 59, a road I had never ridden, to Gillette WY and a later breakfast.

    After French Toast in Gillette, served by a masked waiter in an unmasked restaurant, I got a call from one of the guys in the Black Hills BMW group. He wanted to meet somewhere, Sundance was an hour away for both of us so we met at noon.
    On my way to meet Dan, I passed several miles of BNSF Locomotives parked nose to tail on three parallel tracks, between the lack of coal mining here and the reduction in imported goods on the west coast there are an awful lot of rail cars and engines sitting.
    After an hour of B.S., we headed to the Southern Black Hills and then back to Rapid City where he lives.

    I left Dan at a stoplight in Rapid City and headed home with alacrity as the weather was building to the west. I got home just in time to avoid the first raindrops. Once in the garage the raindrops stopped, we really need rain it is damn dry and not looking good.

    The new Fuji XP-140 worked well. I can operate it with one hand with gloves on and it transfers the pictures to my phone automatically, I can then add the pictures to the Relive Video with little effort. The time signature of the camera and the geolocation are obtained from the phone by the camera. The XP-140 is a little bigger and heavier than the old Olympus I used to use but it is not a problem and all i need is a little longer lanyard for it to be perfect.

    Click anywhere in the Image Below to run the Video

    Last edited by bigjohnsd; 05-02-2021 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

    Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

  2. #2
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    22,480
    Is it just me...I get an error when I click on the image.

    Update...0800 central...works now!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  3. #3
    Registered User bluehole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Posts
    1,094
    Me too.
    1972 R75/5
    1993 R100R

  4. #4
    '14 R1200 GS Adv bigjohnsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Black Hills, SD
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Is it just me...I get an error when I click on the image.

    Update...0800 central...works now!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    Me too.
    Link Fixed - Thanks for the heads up.
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

    Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

  5. #5
    ohbeemer ramble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    250
    Very Nice ...a morning ride from the ez chair. Spurred me....After mowing, going riding. Our hazards here are whitetail deer, mostly nocturnal but not always and more in the fall. are antelope out day and night?

  6. #6
    Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 KenDittrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    I left the house this morning having absolutely no idea where I intended to go.
    I thought about making my Bighorns Loop but with weax coming from the West I didn't want to run into snow at high altitude on the two passes.

    Instead, I worked my way north and east to Broadus MT - "The Wavingest Town" with the intention of eating breakfast at the sole cafe in town. The cafe was jammed - 20 pickups and 5 semis parked in front and a line out the door.

    I headed down MT/WY 59, a road I had never ridden, to Gillette WY and a later breakfast.

    After French Toast in Gillette, served by a masked waiter in an unmasked restaurant, I got a call from one of the guys in the Black Hills BMW group. He wanted to meet somewhere, Sundance was an hour away for both of us so we met at noon.
    On my way to meet Dan, I passed several miles of BNSF Locomotives parked nose to tail on three parallel tracks, between the lack of coal mining here and the reduction in imported goods on the west coast there are an awful lot of rail cars and engines sitting.
    After an hour of B.S., we headed to the Southern Black Hills and then back to Rapid City where he lives.

    I left Dan at a stoplight in Rapid City and headed home with alacrity as the weather was building to the west. I got home just in time to avoid the first raindrops. Once in the garage the raindrops stopped, we really need rain it is damn dry and not looking good.

    The new Fuji XP-140 worked well. I can operate it with one hand with gloves on and it transfers the pictures to my phone automatically, I can then add the pictures to the Relive Video with little effort. The time signature of the camera and the geolocation are obtained from the phone by the camera. The XP-140 is a little bigger and heavier than the old Olympus I used to use but it is not a problem and all i need is a little longer lanyard for it to be perfect.

    Click anywhere in the Image Below to run the Video

    Really like the visual representation of your ride to get an instant recognition of the loop and the various terrain you rode through. Nicely done.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)


    Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

  7. #7
    '14 R1200 GS Adv bigjohnsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Black Hills, SD
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by ramble View Post
    Very Nice ...a morning ride from the ez chair. Spurred me....After mowing, going riding. Our hazards here are whitetail deer, mostly nocturnal but not always and more in the fall. are antelope out day and night?
    Antelope are up during the day for certain.
    It is interesting in that while I saw too many dead deer to count alongside the road yesterday one rarely sees an antelope struck by a motor vehicle.

    I was surprised to see this antelope where I saw it, they don't usually come out by the road to eat but the grass was quite tasty in that spot I guess.
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

    Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Similar Threads

  1. Adventure ride
    By donbmw in forum Campfire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 02:18 PM
  2. Ride the Adventure RAid
    By Visian in forum Off the Beaten Path
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2013, 02:20 PM
  3. There's an Adventure Ride going on, too...
    By aphillips66 in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 06:05 PM
  4. Friday's Adventure ride
    By wizze in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 03:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •