• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My May Day Ride - a serendipitous adventure!

bigjohnsd

'21 R1250 GS Adv
I left the house this morning having absolutely no idea where I intended to go.
I thought about making my Bighorns Loop but with weax coming from the West I didn't want to run into snow at high altitude on the two passes.

Instead, I worked my way north and east to Broadus MT - "The Wavingest Town" with the intention of eating breakfast at the sole cafe in town. The cafe was jammed - 20 pickups and 5 semis parked in front and a line out the door.

I headed down MT/WY 59, a road I had never ridden, to Gillette WY and a later breakfast.

After French Toast in Gillette, served by a masked waiter in an unmasked restaurant, I got a call from one of the guys in the Black Hills BMW group. He wanted to meet somewhere, Sundance was an hour away for both of us so we met at noon.
On my way to meet Dan, I passed several miles of BNSF Locomotives parked nose to tail on three parallel tracks, between the lack of coal mining here and the reduction in imported goods on the west coast there are an awful lot of rail cars and engines sitting.
After an hour of B.S., we headed to the Southern Black Hills and then back to Rapid City where he lives.

I left Dan at a stoplight in Rapid City and headed home with alacrity as the weather was building to the west. I got home just in time to avoid the first raindrops. Once in the garage the raindrops stopped, we really need rain it is damn dry and not looking good.

The new Fuji XP-140 worked well. I can operate it with one hand with gloves on and it transfers the pictures to my phone automatically, I can then add the pictures to the Relive Video with little effort. The time signature of the camera and the geolocation are obtained from the phone by the camera. The XP-140 is a little bigger and heavier than the old Olympus I used to use but it is not a problem and all i need is a little longer lanyard for it to be perfect.

Click anywhere in the Image Below to run the Video

Last edited:
Is it just me...I get an error when I click on the image. :scratch

Update...0800 central...works now! :thumb

Very Nice ...a morning ride from the ez chair. Spurred me....After mowing, going riding. Our hazards here are whitetail deer, mostly nocturnal but not always and more in the fall. are antelope out day and night?

I left the house this morning having absolutely no idea where I intended to go.
I thought about making my Bighorns Loop but with weax coming from the West I didn't want to run into snow at high altitude on the two passes.

Instead, I worked my way north and east to Broadus MT - "The Wavingest Town" with the intention of eating breakfast at the sole cafe in town. The cafe was jammed - 20 pickups and 5 semis parked in front and a line out the door.

I headed down MT/WY 59, a road I had never ridden, to Gillette WY and a later breakfast.

After French Toast in Gillette, served by a masked waiter in an unmasked restaurant, I got a call from one of the guys in the Black Hills BMW group. He wanted to meet somewhere, Sundance was an hour away for both of us so we met at noon.
On my way to meet Dan, I passed several miles of BNSF Locomotives parked nose to tail on three parallel tracks, between the lack of coal mining here and the reduction in imported goods on the west coast there are an awful lot of rail cars and engines sitting.
After an hour of B.S., we headed to the Southern Black Hills and then back to Rapid City where he lives.

I left Dan at a stoplight in Rapid City and headed home with alacrity as the weather was building to the west. I got home just in time to avoid the first raindrops. Once in the garage the raindrops stopped, we really need rain it is damn dry and not looking good.

The new Fuji XP-140 worked well. I can operate it with one hand with gloves on and it transfers the pictures to my phone automatically, I can then add the pictures to the Relive Video with little effort. The time signature of the camera and the geolocation are obtained from the phone by the camera. The XP-140 is a little bigger and heavier than the old Olympus I used to use but it is not a problem and all i need is a little longer lanyard for it to be perfect.

Click anywhere in the Image Below to run the Video

Really like the visual representation of your ride to get an instant recognition of the loop and the various terrain you rode through. Nicely done.

Very Nice ...a morning ride from the ez chair. Spurred me....After mowing, going riding. Our hazards here are whitetail deer, mostly nocturnal but not always and more in the fall. are antelope out day and night?

Antelope are up during the day for certain.
It is interesting in that while I saw too many dead deer to count alongside the road yesterday one rarely sees an antelope struck by a motor vehicle.

I was surprised to see this antelope where I saw it, they don't usually come out by the road to eat but the grass was quite tasty in that spot I guess.

Back