• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brighter Headlights

cuervo

Has anyone else tried running brighter headlights in their motorcycle?

I currently use an 80/100W light but noticed that the socket and rubber boot have melted a little from the extra heat. I've bought a replacement socket but haven't used it yet.

The spade connectors are probably rated at 5A. The brighter lights would be pulling about 7.5-8.5A. The wire capacity should be fine but I don't want to keep replacing sockets if I don't have to.

Just looking for some comparisons.

thanks

Cuervo said:
Has anyone else tried running brighter headlights in their motorcycle?

I currently use an 80/100W light but noticed that the socket and rubber boot have melted a little from the extra heat. I've bought a replacement socket but haven't used it yet.

The spade connectors are probably rated at 5A. The brighter lights would be pulling about 7.5-8.5A. The wire capacity should be fine but I don't want to keep replacing sockets if I don't have to.

Just looking for some comparisons.

thanks

I've run 55/100W bulbs without difficulty, but really only ran the high beam at night.

I could never get a high-output bulb to last in my K75, but eventually added relays after a wiring issue. Now I have no need for a bigger bulb....the direct connection produces a lot more light than the stock setup. See IBMWR.org for details on adding relays.

Back