• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Price of Valve job?

Tooth

Just for grins.....what do you think the price of a valve job on this bike would be? Dealer of course.......

Better to ask this on the wedge-K forum -- appears to be the same basic work to get to the valves (including draing/refilling coolant) -- then it's only a few more valves to look at (24 vs.16) once you are in there.

My guess: Get a wedge-K ballpark number, and add 10%.

If not done due to a defect under warranty I doubt one would be needed any time soon. We've had 4 bikes go over 150,000 miles with no valve work needed and two go over 350,000 miles with no valve work needed. At least one more will get up to that 350,000 eventually but it does take time.

If not done due to a defect under warranty I doubt one would be needed any time soon. We've had 4 bikes go over 150,000 miles with no valve work needed and two go over 350,000 miles with no valve work needed. At least one more will get up to that 350,000 eventually but it does take time.
Ah -- I thought he was talking about valve clearances.

But my original guess still stands -- wedge-K + 10% (unless all the valves and guides need to be replaced, then the 50% more valves would make me go to +15% -- most of either the valve clearance or valve rehab jobs is labor (rehab has more parts costs, but the labor is so huge it won't shift the percentages *that* much)).

Well now, I don't know what he meant. In normalspeak a valve job is regrinding or replacing seats and valves. A valve adjustment is adjusting the valves.

I now suspect he meant adjusting the valves. And I agree - about the same as a K1200 or K1300 - it just depends on how many actually need to be adjusted.

Sorry
I was referring to a valve adjustment........so called routine maintaince visit at XXXX miles

Since a valve check/adjustment of these bikes involves.

1. Take off a whole bunch of stuff
2. Take off the valve cover
3. Check each valve clearance
4. Change any that are out of spec - I think this means removing the cams on the 1200, 1300, and presumably the 1600. Put cams back on the bike.
5. Put valve cover back on
6. Put a whole bunch of stuff back on

My guess is that in the whole process whether you are checking 16 or 12 doesn't make a huge difference - and however many need changing is pot luck.

Probability theory would say that the odds are higher that at least one out of 16 will be off compared to at least one out of 12, but ....

Given the sophistication of this bike my guess is that valve adjustments are a minor thing to worry about.

Would their be 24 valves (6 cylinders/ 4 valves per).

At any rate, for those who will enjoy this new bike, maintenance costs should not be too much of a financial burden.

Would their be 24 valves (6 cylinders/ 4 valves per).

At any rate, for those who will enjoy this new bike, maintenance costs should not be too much of a financial burden.

Yeah, I lost track thinking about that new Ducati V8 concept bike that probably would have 32 valves. But the principle is the same. All the work is getting to them to check them.

Back