• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Vicious Rumor from HD Biker

Gosh. Those are some very angry, hateful and bitter comments from some of the Harley owners. They need anger management and counseling.
I remember reading some years ago that in an international poll, the number one bike for customer satisfaction and reliability, BMW was number 1, follwed closely by Honda then Yamaha, and Ducati. In 5th place was Harley. This was many years ago. Perhaps they have improved since that survery.
I have nothing against harley exept personal prefernce. I think they are good bikes with great history and follow up. I prefer 1 BMW instead of 3 Harleys.
PERSONAL OPINION BASED ON TASTE.
Regards,

Gil

Anger management???
Most of the comments seemed pretty fair or, at worse, no more myopic than the ones about Harleys tossed around here. :dunno

Agreed.

Opinions based on ignorance never work well.

Either way, I still can't seem to be bothered to wash my bike. How hard is it to keep that RT clean? It's got all sorts of nooks and crannies in that fairing with the panels that "hover" out a bit.

Either way, I still can't seem to be bothered to wash my bike. How hard is it to keep that RT clean? It's got all sorts of nooks and crannies in that fairing with the panels that "hover" out a bit.

I almost never wash it, I'm sorry to say. It looks good with road cheese all over it.

Of course, I've managed to get the panels all scuffed up from my riding gear and the various cords and wires hanging off of it, so that might be the source of my ambivalence about keeping it clean.

Once in a while, I'll wash the dead bugs and junk off the windshield and headlight. :dunno

Not to be controversial or seeking trouble, I am referring to some comments and not to the entire thread. I read many comments defending the Bmers.
I should have been a little more clear.
I believe Bmers have "soul" as a matter of opinion. To say "Harley is what a bike should look like" is also an opinion. Also calling the bike "FUGLY" is a bit odd. Some, like me, find the opposing cylinders great in appearance. I am certainly not on the GEEKY side. (I hope) "Most (not all) Beemer riders are on the Geeky side, at least around my area!" That is his opinion as well....or so I hope.
Another comment that caught my attention was this one.
"BMW doesn't seem to care. Someday all that High Tech crap will need fixed"

However, I do agree and even enjoy this last comment.
"some how, BMW with crossed roses tattoo'd on my shoulder doesn't do anything for me"

All in good humor and with the highest respect to all of you.

Regards, :wave

Gil

However, I do agree and even enjoy this last comment.
"some how, BMW with crossed roses tattoo'd on my shoulder doesn't do anything for me"
I agree with that. Any manufactures logo with crossed roses tattooed anywhere on me doesn't do anything for me.......but that's just me.
Live to ride, ride to live. :thumb

All well and good but...

But what about the substance of the rumor? Is there any indication from any source that it is based on evidence? Aprilia manufactures in Italy. Manufacturing in China may be feasible and even practical by 2010. Does anyone have any SUBSTANTIVE EVIDENCE regarding the rumor?

But what about the substance of the rumor? Is there any indication from any source that it is based on evidence? Aprilia manufactures in Italy. Manufacturing in China may be feasible and even practical by 2010. Does anyone have any SUBSTANTIVE EVIDENCE regarding the rumor?

Anyone with any common sense would realize that BMW's will not be made in China. BMW with their emphasis on safety, would not allow lead in the paint, frames made of lead, and lead engines. We won't even mention the unreliability that a Chinese made BMW would bring. :)

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Anyone with any common sense would realize that BMW's will not be made in China. BMW with their emphasis on safety, would not allow lead in the paint, frames made of lead, and lead engines. We won't even mention the unreliability that a Chinese made BMW would bring. :)

Regards,

Randy Kasal

They already do. :D

Motorcycle-OB-XJ-750-BMW-R71-URAL-M72-.jpg

Chang_Jiang_2.jpg

sorta

They already do. :D

Motorcycle-OB-XJ-750-BMW-R71-URAL-M72-.jpg

Chang_Jiang_2.jpg

sorta

I know they do. It was a joke. The R-71 was, I believe, the most copied motorcycle ever. That says a lot about BMW. While we're on that subject, you all can remind the HD folks that the HD XA for which HD received soooo many awards was an exact copy of captured Wermacht R-71's from North Africa.

The Indian motor of the same time was an exact copy of the R-71's motor. Add in these Chinese bikes, the Ural's (and I think one or or more of the Planeta's if not the Planeta Pyat was a copy), a few more brands, and BMW is the most coped motorrad ever made. Something to be proud of.

The made in America crowd needs to look at their Leather H-D vest made in Pakistan.

I had two Harley's in my lifetime. I even rode a Sportster across country without a windshield, and used a T-Bag. I was not your chrome and trailer crowd type of guy that is common now.

Ain't that the truth. I road my sporty cross country and broke down in Ohio... wait, that was fun actually. Anyhoo, give me a bike that runs and runs and runs. I don't wash it, I don't need to fix it, it goes quite well.

Three cheers for my K75 :buds

Made in America

Ain't that the truth. I road my sporty cross country and broke down in Ohio... wait, that was fun actually. Anyhoo, give me a bike that runs and runs and runs. I don't wash it, I don't need to fix it, it goes quite well.

Three cheers for my K75 :buds

I'm repeating only what I was told last Saturday at the dealer by a recent BMW 900,000 miler. He rides 40 to 50,000 miles per year and has taught the MSF safety course for, I think he said, 30 years. 16 courses this year alone.

Anyway, he said the only true made in America bike is the Honda Goldwing.

The next parts are my understandings from other sources. HD's are mostly made in Mexico but assembled in WI. I do know my brother's doctor gf (who bought a V-Rod so they could travel around the country hahahahaha) has a French ignition system and an Italian engine management system (or perhaps the other way around) while the pistons are German (Mahle) and the engine design was by Porsche. Way to cheapen the Porsche brand.

Won't even get into the uncomfortable, unsafe, poor handling, and probable unreliable aspects of the bike. It's not made in America!!!!

Regards,

Randy Kasal

pin the roundel on the mascot............

Attachments

• mascots.jpg
    mascots.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 251
Not to mention....

... these guys being somewhat being spelling challenged.

FYI, the Made in America Harleys used a substantial amount of Swedish made (SKF) 8620 gear steel in their transmissions in the mid 1980s. I know - I imported it for them. :german OK it should be a blue and yellow cross - didn't be to be available for this post.

From The People's Daily (Online)

>>China sees ten thousand homemade BMW sold in past year

>>BMW China announced Friday that more than 10,000 domestically-made luxury >>BMWs have been sold in China since Oct. 16, 2003, when the company >>released the first made-in-China BMWs.

Of course, they are talking about cars. But...

John

I am having troubles laying my hands on the various press releases and news articles that go into making a rumor like this. VERY roughly, in no particular order and off the top of my head:

I believe it was March that I posted a press release from BMW about the opening of a Club Motorrad in Beijing. The Chinese company Chiang Jiang is working with BMW on this. They are ChinaÔÇÖs second largest motorcycle manufacturer. Their product line runs up to 250cc bikes. The press release argued they and their dealer network would help introduce larger BMW motorcycles to the Chinese market. The second thing Chiang Jiang was to help with was sourcing help for parts manufacturing.

Chiang Jiang is in litigation with the Brazilian government. They have a deal to purchase the equipment in an automotive plant that BMW shut down. It is not clear who owned the plant, BMW or a contractor. Chiang Jiang wants to bring the equipment to China to set up manufacturing there. Brazil wants the plant to remain in Brazil, protect Brazilian jobs and has offered to set up preferential terms for export to China.

Several auto blogs have suggested that BMW intends to produce and market a hybrid in China for China and the Asian market. I have seen some BMW press releases that may have something to do with this.

BMW manufactures cars in many different countries. The most recent expansion is in India. It is even rumored that they build cars someplace in a southeastern state with Carolina in it, some where in the United States. You know Americans canÔÇÖt produce cars so the BMW Bimmer mystic is definitely at risk.

The BMW motorcycle plant has excess capacity at this time. Part of its production time is currently used to make parts for other product lines. The assembly plant can make more so there seems to be no need for moving motorcycle manufacturing to China from a production point.

The Husqvarna purchase would speak against a move to China. Their plant has excess production capacity and would seem a logical place to build the production 450 and perhaps some of the 650 line.

Take a snip from any of the above paragraphs combined with a bit of speculation and who have a H-D rider waving good bye to the BMW mystic.

Back