• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Night photography

J

jantarek

I just started to play with that idea, and its tons of fun :thumb . So lets see some night photography, some techniques you might like to share?:lurk , but no Astrophotography please. And no Photoshop moods, (I canÔÇÖt stand Photoshop modifications, itÔÇÖs like saying that my pics sucks and I have no technique:banghead )

Anyway some of my first ones

Nikon D200, shutter priority 10s f8 Iso800

433561688_X7d8b-X2.jpg

and same place a little more to the right and closer
Nikon D200, shutter priority 10s f9 Iso800

433561711_2rwsR-X2.jpg

It is tricky! But so much fun this time of year.

My FinePix has a setting where it shoots in natural light and immediately shoots with a flash.

I love being able to choose the best later.

DSCF5285.jpg

DSCF5312.jpg

Voni
sMiling

Last edited:
I just started to play with that idea, and its tons of fun :thumb . So lets see some night photography, some techniques you might like to share?:lurk , but no Astrophotography please. And no Photoshop moods, (I can’t stand Photoshop modifications, it’s like saying that my pics sucks and I have no technique:banghead )

Anyway some of my first ones

Nikon D200, shutter priority 10s f8 Iso800

and same place a little more to the right and closer
Nikon D200, shutter priority 10s f9 Iso800

Not really, back in the days of film you just about had to do some sort modifications to get the photos to come out with the right impact, changing the exposure timing and aperture in the enlarger, dogging, using different grain of the paper you would be using and also push processing (esp in low light photography) was all part of the process. Now we have photoshop or other software to do that, even straight out of the camera its been processed unless you do everything in RAW. No shame in refining the product at all. in fact i think it gives you greater leeway in the shooting process.

RM

night photography

Our Christmas lights:

270105414_JrpnY-M.jpg

Nikon D 40; I think I just shot this one on automatic.

Not really, back in the days of film you just about had to do some sort modifications to get the photos to come out with the right impact, changing the exposure timing and aperture in the enlarger, dogging, using different grain of the paper you would be using and also push processing (esp in low light photography) was all part of the process. Now we have photoshop or other software to do that, even straight out of the camera its been processed unless you do everything in RAW. On shame in refining the product at all. in fact i think it gives you greater leeway in the shooting process.

RM

YEA I can imagine how hard it was to do that with film and those that did it have my full respect :bow , doing a little adjustments in photoshop to make picture looks good its a diferent story, even changing color to black and white, what I hate is the total overhaul, when you taking cell phone camera picture and making it look like it was done by a Pro. :scratch lol
personally I like to take tons of pics and choose which ones are semi ok lol, all pics that I have are non touch , (camera processed ;) )
thanks for input

BTW

those are great pics Voni :thumb
love that red tree

My dyslexia thought the title was "Nude photography" at first.

I call these "artsy fartsy."

I accidently left me exposure on too long on my old camera when I was driving:
april11041_2.jpg

Evening shot:
n576805190_1727367_5872.jpg

Hand-lighting fireworks:
n576805190_3485452_7134.jpg

yea it can be tons of fun with blur pics, not easy to find a good one tho.
Very nice job with the moon :thumb

Went out last month a couple of times for some ADV tags. A tripod is a big help on these extended exposure pics

30 second exposure on a windy night gave me some blur as the sign moved in the wind, I suppose the camera did too.

3044157043_df65f7fe37_b.jpg

This 15 second exposure left a nice glow on the bike, you wouldn't even know it's a dark night out - notice the car headlights at the nose of the bike.

3025373511_2ba7d40725_o.jpg

Can't stand Photoshop? I think the shot looks much better with the powerlines removed.
3025329943_e74d9c1f2a.jpg

My RT at night

Attachments

• RTatNight.jpg
    RTatNight.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 370
Jebel%20Hafeet%20road.png

Jebel Hafeet mountain from my hotel room in the Al Ain Rotana

Not%20the%20Last%20Supper%20II.png

Not the Last Supper

Sheikh%20Zayed%20Road%20SignII.png

The Sheikhs playground which is Dubai

Dubai_Night_Skyline.png

I've got two settings on my JVC GR-DZ7U, flash and no-flash-let's-pick-up-all-the-ambient-light-in-the-world. The trick is to set it on the latter and snap a shot right while it's pulling in the light at the amount you desire for the shot. Works fine but if you don't hold the camera super-still you get blur.

All the same, I get good results, but just plan on taking multiple shots at night to ensure one will be good enough to serve up.

YEA I can imagine how hard it was to do that with film and those that did it have my full respect :bow , doing a little adjustments in photoshop to make picture looks good its a diferent story, even changing color to black and white, what I hate is the total overhaul, when you taking cell phone camera picture and making it look like it was done by a Pro. :scratch lol
personally I like to take tons of pics and choose which ones are semi ok lol, all pics that I have are non touch , (camera processed ;) )
thanks for input

BTW

those are great pics Voni :thumb
love that red tree

Ha Ha! personally I don't consider cell phones as qualifying as photographic equipment! But I hear what you're saying and concur, if a photo needs a complete overhaul then, yeah, it probably wasn't a photograph worthy of the name, it was just a snapshot, if that! :lol

RM

Sunrise:
140955.jpg

Our Christmas lights:
christmas.jpg

Fireworks in our 'hood:
fw1.jpg
fw2.jpg

From the Grand Floridian:
watershow.jpg

The highway:
010.JPG

My daughter (not photoshop - just a long shutter):
DSC05091.JPG

Downtown (film photo):
005.jpg

A few of mine. All are hand held.

Honfluer, France three years ago. Digital Rebel, f/5.6, 1/4s, ISO 400.

110963542_tfD7E-L.jpg

Ten minutes later, f/5.6, 1/8s, ISO 400.

110963865_nMYPr-L.jpg

A couple months ago, Canon 30D, Tamron 28-200.

f5.6, 1/40s, ISO 400, shutter priority, -2/3.

392558312_JVYZE-L.jpg

f/4, 1/10s, ISO 400, -2/3EV.

392558675_a7bUY-XL.jpg

late night in the garage drinking.

Me and my buddies drinking in the garage late at night. I had just got my Nikon D 80 and was playing around with it on a tripod. I think the shutter speed was 30 sec.

Attachments

• DSC_0038.JPG
    DSC_0038.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 202
Yea I played a little with that as well, not at night but those are fun
435241874_vxzgW-XL.jpg

435241892_crpzc-XL.jpg

Back