• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

‘57 R60 Steering Head Bearing Replacement/Upgrade

72r60/7

Pevious owner mentioned/mumbled the steering head bearings are the type that fall all over the floor (like an old bicycle) upon disassembly. Later he mentioned he had taper roller bearings in the “extra” box. Just hadn’t gotten around to it.

Head shake at slow speed scared I the hell outta me. It has been many years since I felt that.
Bearings may not be the total cause but changing to new may bound to be better than 60 yr old bearings.

Barringtons “proprietary” description doesn’t tell me that what I have is correct.

With a $10 Harbour Freight digital caliper it says the bearings are:

ID 33.94 mm
OD 50.96 mm
Depth 12 mm

Do these bearings sound correct to anyone ?
Just trying to get prepared as best as possible.

Any tips are appreciated with this procedure.

Charlie

Charlie -

I did this upgrade on my R69S. From what I recall, the bearings are non-standard. I don't know how I could have measured what came out or the steering stem itself to figure out what I needed. I just bought a set from Vech. At the moment, I can't find the line in his online store that calls those out.

My independent mechanic confirmed that the bearings, whose measurements were in the first post, properly fit .

I may just not pass from head shake after all. (Even though bearing replacement was more of an update, rather than service or an adjustment.)

Charlie

Back