• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dellorto Carb Stuck Inlet Seat

swall

Wanted to get the R90S out for a ride this year and found that the inlet seat on the left side Dellorto was leaking. Ordered one--they come as a set, with needle and screw-in seat. The OEM seat is stuck. It will not some loose using a 1/4" drive 9mm six point socket. I only tried this with the screw handle type driver, not a ratchet. I'm pretty sure any efforts with a ratchet will result in a twist-off. I am soaking it with Kroil while I contemplate options, like maybe a heat/freeze cycle. Oh-- the new needle will not interchange with the old seat, as the new needle is hex cross section vs square cross section for the OEM and is too big to fit.

Wanted to get the R90S out for a ride this year and found that the inlet seat on the left side Dellorto was leaking. Ordered one--they come as a set, with needle and screw-in seat. The OEM seat is stuck. It will not some loose using a 1/4" drive 9mm six point socket. I only tried this with the screw handle type driver, not a ratchet. I'm pretty sure any efforts with a ratchet will result in a twist-off. I am soaking it with Kroil while I contemplate options, like maybe a heat/freeze cycle. Oh-- the new needle will not interchange with the old seat, as the new needle is hex cross section vs square cross section for the OEM and is too big to fit.

Sounds like yr having a fun Saturday! I was until it got hot enough to bake bread in the garage. :)

Inside the carb, varnish makes things stick. Acetone or carb cleaner will dissolve varnish. Dunno if Kroil will work on it.

A nut driver won't apply enough force unless you're a gorilla. It is safe to use a ratchet but of course you cannot honk on it until your veins bulge or the brass will torque off.

After a 3 day Kroil soak, it came loose just a bit ago. New seat and needle installed, leak tested and we are ready for fire up.

Back