• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1600 Excitement Over??

I think that the excitement is over for the LT's and the Goldwings....not for the 1600's.....out with the old in with the new!:clap

The excitement is over for those that don't own one. Those of us that do get more excited with every ride!

Yes, the excitment is over. Six cylinder motorcycle models wil continue to be few and become less, as gasoline prices increase world wide.

How do you figure that? I get the same exact gas mileage on my K1600 GT as I did on my '09 RT. 42 mpg.

Yes, the excitment is over. Six cylinder motorcycle models wil continue to be few and become less, as gasoline prices increase world wide.

Maybe it will work the other way. People will get their economy car to save money and buy their motorcycle for their performance vehicle.

I have to agree with several of the previous posts. This is not the time of year to judge the real consumer attitude and position regarding motorcycles.
It is irrelevant that the bike has 1600cc as far as fuel prices are concerned. It may get better mileage than a 750cc carburetor bike.
None of the dealers in my area (there are 4 in a 40 mile radius) has more than one GTL on the floor. Only one has a GT. They all say, they wish they could get more and faster. They don't even know when they get the next one.
Consider that while the U.S. is an important market, the world DOES NOT revolve around the USA as far as motorcycling is concerned. The K1600 sells very well in Europe.

The excitement is over for those that don't own one. Those of us that do get more excited with every ride!

Amen to that. My K16GT is coming up on 3 months old and 1800 miles and I'm still amazed at what this bike offers. I ride solo 99.99% of the time and for that, it's got all day comfort in any season, it'll dance well in the twisties, and it's got hooligan bike power that's imminently usable from 3500 to 6000 RPM and delivers it with a smooth manageable engine. And, it's as sexy as anything on two wheels.

I rode a GTL within a few hours of our dealer getting his demo bike. I thought it was awesome, and I have never had any interest in big cruising bikes. The engine is simply amazing.

If I did not have a family and had the time to ride 50k miles a year, the K16 would have been well worth the price, no problem. But I do have a family and they come first, so my K12S will be all I need (and then some) for years to come.

How do you figure that? I get the same exact gas mileage on my K1600 GT as I did on my '09 RT. 42 mpg.

+1, Gunny; the same 42 mpg as on my 2005 R1150RT and my 1996 R1100GS, only my 2009 BMW F800GS is getting better mileage than my K1600GT is now getting!

+1, Gunny; the same 42 mpg as on my 2005 R1150RT and my 1996 R1100GS, only my 2009 BMW F800GS is getting better mileage than my K1600GT is now getting!

I'm not getting anywhere near that on my around town and back country road rides - more like 37 - 38 mpg. IMO, mileage for this kind of bike is a nearly irrelevant metric and my chief interest is in range. This bike even at 37 mpg is capable of a comfortable 200+ mile range and that's just fine with me.

5 month on my gtl and 4400 miles. Still get off smiling and constantly looking for excuses to ride. Since switching to Michelin pr3's I'm seeing 40-42mpg and I'm 6'2" 300lbs. Seems like at about 3500 the bike started to loosen up a bit. Best bike I've ever ridden.

I've owned this bike since October. It is simply the best bike I've ever owned. I sold a 07 GW to get it. I am absolutely astounded by the bikes power and handling. I know there are a lot of fans of the GW and other less sporty bikes, and they have their own virtues, but for me the GTL is the perfect machine. My wife prefers the passenger riding position of the GTL over the GW. The GTL has a more vertical position for her. On the GW she felt like she was leaning back all the time. So she may be in the minority but she prefers the GTL. I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with anything else. Mileage? All in your driving habits. I have 6000 miles on the bike now and have never really checked the mileage. It's really not that important to me. Most often the onboard computer says I'm getting from 32 to 44 mpg. I suspect more 32 than 44. They say if you drive 55 you'll get 50 mpg. Someday I'll leave in in rain mode and drive it for mileage and see where it comes out. I suspect the machine will surprise most folks. I think if you were ride it like a GW or a boxer, match the acceleration and speed the mpg would be pretty close.

5 month on my gtl and 4400 miles. Still get off smiling and constantly looking for excuses to ride. Since switching to Michelin pr3's I'm seeing 40-42mpg and I'm 6'2" 300lbs. Seems like at about 3500 the bike started to loosen up a bit. Best bike I've ever ridden.

I agree with you, at 5K miles I'm getting better mileage than ever before; 6'1" and 275lbs

Regardless of the world economy there will always be a percentage of the population that will be "unaffected" and thus be able to afford the finer things such as new bikes, cars etc..

And no I'm not one of them.

True that. And guess what, I am a professional engineer and that is my day job. I've been with another gig, that I do part-time, for one year now. It is truly an amazing business and I will be shopping for that 1600 this spring. Extra cash is always fun to have.

Back