• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle museums

Prof. Robert

Hey folks, I might be the last motorcyclist in the known world to know about this place, but if IÔÇÖm not then read on. Boadicea, my daughter, Trudi, my wife, and I just returned home after Thanksgiving with my In-laws in Junction City, Kansas; but as fascinating as that story might be, I really want to tell everyone about finding a couple of motorcycle museums ÔÇ£in Beautiful, Historic Marquette, Kansas.ÔÇØ Trudi discovered a brochure for the Kansas Motorcycle Museum at the Kansas Tourist Center just north of Oklahoma where we stopped for a ... well you know. So we decided to check the place out on the way home. In addition to finding the KMM, we also found that Marquette hosted another motorcycle museum--the British Motorcycle Museum! Marquette seems to be a very motorcycle friendly village (itÔÇÖs a pretty small town).

The BMM was closed when we were there, so we didnÔÇÖt get to enjoy its wonders; however, the KMM was open for everyoneÔÇÖs viewing pleasure. And a pleasure it was. The place is run by an elderly couple, Stan and LaVona Engdahl, whose enthusiasm is infectious, and knowledge seems endless. And better yet, they are willing to share that enthusiasm and knowledge with anyone who is willing to participate in motorcycle lore. The walls are filled with memorabilia, pictures of Stan during his racing days, and the myriad trophies he won. The floors support an eclectic display of 108 motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles. They even had a BMW on display! I believe it was an R60/2. But for me, one of the most interesting display was a scooter built by three sailors during W.W.II. Although the little two wheeler looked like a piece of farm equipment, it did have hydraulic brakes. I could go on and on, but I donÔÇÖt want to ÔÇ£spoil the movie by giving away the ending.ÔÇØ

So if youÔÇÖre ever on the Interstate between Wichita and Salina, turn west at Lindsborg on 4 and visit Stan and La Vona. You wonÔÇÖt regret the side trip. Their address is:
Kansas Motorcycle Museum
120 N. Washington
P.O. Box 404
Marquette, Ks 67464
(785)546-2449
marquette@ks-usa.net
www.ksmm.us

Stan told me that he didnÔÇÖt think the website was up and running yet, but it soon should be. Also they are hosting a ÔÇ£THUNDER ON THE SMOKYÔÇØ rally on May 19, 2007 if anyone is interested.

WeÔÇÖre going back the next time weÔÇÖre in the area.
Robert

Good to know, Thanks! We go to Wichita once a year for a big rig RV rally so now we'll have a new destination to check out.

Thanks!

Great information to know. That place might make my next trip through Kansas even *more* exciting! :bolt

A couple of lists that ought to be kept somewhere handy and up-to-date (homepage or linked?) are:

Motorcycle campgrounds

Motorcycle museums

My ride to last year's Ga Mtn Rally took me to Iowa City, Iowa (better weather!). I went to the nearby museum in Anamosa, IA. Pretty neat.
http://www.nationalmcmuseum.org/museum/

That museum is loosely associated with the AMA. (AMA member card gets a little discount and some bikes are loaned between museums). The AMA's Hall of Fame Musuem changes the theme of the display every couple of years. The AMA museum is located in Pickerington, Ohio near Columbus.
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/

Kansas Motorcycle Museum

The KMM's website, www.ksmm.us, is up and running.

I agree with you robsmoto; those would make a couple of nice additions to an already pretty good site.
Robert

Thanks Robert... That's not to far away - definitely will be heading up there!

Here is one I also want to make - heard it is really good!

Lone Star Motorcycle Museum near vanderpool TX...

http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/

This will get you close -- N29 47.701 W99 34.607

Last edited:
Nice one!

SHawn_P said:

I've been there, and it's excellent. Not large, but a nice selection out in the middle of relative nowhere other than some of the great roads in the Texas hill country. Well worth making the effort to stop.

Here's one in PA

I haven't been here yet... However friends told me it's a very interesting place...

Bill's Bike Barn
www.billsbikebarn.com

open:
Thursday & Friday from 10 AM - 6 PM
Saturday from 9:30 AM - 3 PM
Sunday from 1 PM - 5 PM

Phone the museum: 570.759.7030
email: bikebarn@uplink.net

Located at 7145 Columbia Blvd., Bloomsburg, PA 17815
Adjacent to Bill's Custom Cycles

(Bill's Bike Barn is located on Route 11 in Bloosburg, PA adjacent to Bill's Custom Cycles, minutes off of I-80.)

:bikes

SHawn_P said:

That museum is really neat. They've got some great british bikes in there, several set up for vintage racing, and even a few BMW's.

And when you go make sure you order a Medateranian burger with fries and a slice of pecan pie for dessert. So delicious!!!! :eat

Solvang, CA has a pretty nice one.

Bubba Z. dug it.

68479971-L.jpg

SweetT said:
That museum is really neat. They've got some great british bikes in there, several set up for vintage racing, and even a few BMW's.

And when you go make sure you order a Medateranian burger with fries and a slice of pecan pie for dessert. So delicious!!!! :eat

Been by there twice and htey were closed both times! Wrong day of the week...

Like Greg said, great riding out there - sure can't complain about that....

I'll keep the burger in mind...

I've been to that Lone Star museum and it is DEFINITELY worth stopping in- but then the surrounding Hill Country is even MORE worth the trip.
I don't recall there being a cafe when I was there, but I did buy a shop-rag embroidered with a Vincent logo. I figure that's about as close as I'll ever come to owning a Vincent.
Good food down the road in Utopia too, as well as several other places around the Hill Country.

Back