• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Jim Ford and thoughts about scanning the environment

txmxrider

I really enjoy reading all the MOA articles regarding riding safely and I especially enjoy Jim Ford's articles because I too like to ride mountain roads at a brisk (but safe) pace. I try to train my eyes to watch the vanishing point and also scan the road and ditches for hazards. It's a constant challenge doing all that while also keeping a eye out for LEO, watching the mirrors, watching my blind spots, and keeping an eye on traffic. I sort of take a holistic approach and try to use my peripheral vision as much as possible but there is also some eye movement involved as well. I wonder if anyone has developed a pattern that they follow that provides maximum efficiency and I'm guessing that fighter pilots are trained to do this in a specific manner. Jim Ford talks of "active eyes" but not overactive eyes. Does anyone know of a proven method that is preferred over other methods? What works for you? Thanks!

I have tried to develop a standard sequence for scanning ahead without success. The problem is that as soon as you note something that could cause problems, you concentrate on that for a few seconds and change your scan pattern looking for a safe route or other related dangers.

I too have taken Jim Ford's classes which have opened my eyes greatly. I'm a much better rider now but still plan on taking more of his classes.

I have tried to develop a standard sequence for scanning ahead without success. The problem is that as soon as you note something that could cause problems, you concentrate on that for a few seconds and change your scan pattern looking for a safe route or other related dangers.

I too have taken Jim Ford's classes which have opened my eyes greatly. I'm a much better rider now but still plan on taking more of his classes.

Great!
Welcome to the forum Ron
Gary

Interesting paradox from the OP.

A stated interest in safety, combined with an allusion to avoid detection by law enforcement.

Hmmmmm…….. :scratch

Chances are that when there is traffic control “hiding” behind a billboard looking for a chance “7 over”, there is cause for wonder why the operators who take the exit from the third lane- abruptly, are seemingly ignored. :eek
OM

Chances are that when there is traffic control “hiding” behind a billboard looking for a chance “7 over”, there is cause for wonder why the operators who take the exit from the third lane- abruptly, are seemingly ignored. :eek
OM

Lazy cops. Easier to go to court with 'imperical evidence' (radar print-out) than to convince judge/jury that the lane deviations were "unsafe,' given the lack of a collision. :dunno

But does not erase the OP's paradox. Either you have a passion for safety or a passion for speeding. Trying to sell both at the same time ………… one should be in politics!

Lazy cops. Easier to go to court with 'imperical evidence' (radar print-out) than to convince judge/jury that the lane deviations were "unsafe,' given the lack of a collision. :dunno

But does not erase the OP's paradox. Either you have a passion for safety or a passion for speeding. Trying to sell both at the same time ………… one should be in politics!

That presumes that exceeding posted speed limits is necessarily unsafe; it is not in many cases.

If an leo is doing his job [ running radar issuing tickets is doing his job ] of keeping the public at a presumed safe posted speed, that officer is NOT being lazy.

A lazy leo would be hiding in the back of a cemetery or behind a closed school waiting for shift change or to answer a call. :dunno

Hiding

Third hand information I repeat 3rd hand information :dunno
Illinois which has motorcycle police on the road sometimes and sometimes not, one of the times when motorcycle policemen on the road, one of them told a friend of friend that you needed to watch your speed early in the day or shift, while they did not have quotas, they usually wrote the number of tickets wanted the first couple of hours of the shift than they just enjoyed the ride the rest of the day.
Remember this is 2nd hand hearsay, but it kind of jives with what I observed on long commutes to various job sites. :scratch

Third hand information I repeat 3rd hand information :dunno
Illinois which has motorcycle police on the road sometimes and sometimes not, one of the times when motorcycle policemen on the road, one of them told a friend of friend that you needed to watch your speed early in the day or shift, while they did not have quotas, they usually wrote the number of tickets wanted the first couple of hours of the shift than they just enjoyed the ride the rest of the day.
Remember this is 2nd hand hearsay, but it kind of jives with what I observed on long commutes to various job sites. :scratch

Not entirely too far from the 'hearsay bull's eye.' I will always entertain legitimate gripes about LEO's. We were not Supermen.

On my department, though there was no quota (we could write as many as we wanted!), you knew that about 4 'stats' a day, in addition to your unpredictable work load, kept you out of the Captain's office at shift change.

We had guys who wrote fast and furious the first ninety minutes, and then coasted thru the rest of the day. We called them Rod …. Retired On Duty.

But lazy still applies to an afore mentioned scenario, when the lesser of two infractions are enforced because it's an easier day in court.

Saw too much of that as well. As an FTO (Field Training Officer) for all new hires, I made those recruits walk a better path.

That presumes that exceeding posted speed limits is necessarily unsafe; it is not in many cases.

That is true under specific circumstances. I myself am typically 5-7 over posted limits on wide-open super slabs. But at 5-7 over, I've never been pulled over - coast to coast, border to border.

One could also rationalize keeping up with traffic in busy metropolitan areas, since not doing so could be dangerous, given the vulnerablity of a motorcycle vs. a cage or large truck. Law enforcement knows that, and would much rather see a "broad brush" flow of traffic than be investigating a fatality.

But neither of those behaviors provokes a knee-jerk response from LEO's. Ergo, no need to "be on the lookout for them" unless excessive speeding is SOP. :dunno

"Don't go looking for trouble, trouble will find you, and you don't have to look too hard". :dunno

Friedle

I understand that reasoning Kevin.......
I ran into someone that I stopped some 30+ years previously and he, while I remember the stop, reminded me of the outcome.... He at around 15 years was driving a VW in the industrial park main road weaving in and out of the islands. His mother was in the passenger seat- sort of a driving lesson. To shorten the story, I reminded him of the possible consequences, told him not to practice on a public way and let him (them) go.

Perhaps when a LEO sees someone taking the exit from the third without what seems to be a care in the world, while not a "marked lane violation" exactly, could take the time to remind them there are others on the road.

BTW, the 15YO operator I stopped so long ago was still thankful- and respectful.

Gary

But lazy still applies to an afore mentioned scenario, when the lesser of two infractions are enforced because it's an easier day in court.

I have long known that radar made speeding citations the easy one since they seldom devolved into "he said - he said."

But I now ponder if the widespread use of dash cameras might not change things a little. Lots of violations can now be shown to the judge/jury.

I just drove from Des Moines, Iowa to far southwest Texas - from Iowa through Oklahoma on Interstate or turnpike roads and through much of Texas on four lane roads. I couldn't count the number of times I saw cars going 75 to 80 with about a one car length gap; this even when there was light traffic using only one of several lanes. There were several occasions where I was passing a car or truck, behind other passing cars, and some road bully pulled up so close behind me that I could see the windshield but not even the headlights on his car.:banghead It seems like somebody has to crash and folks have to get hurt or die before LEOs do much about it.

This behavior is a far sight more dangerous than speeding a few over.

Back