• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'04 R1150RT - Speedo

sdpc2

not working!

And yes, i have replaced the cable. Anyone else ever had this issue? Is it something that can be repaired by one of the esteemed vendors? The last thing that i want to do is to have to buy a new one. :nono

Thank you,

sdc

I had the same thing on my 04 RT, turned out to be the little plastic ring inside the speedo hub, my receipt says it was the Drive Ring. I do have an extra speedo for cheap if it's needed.

Hey Petty

were you able to get yours repaired? or did you have to replace with a new/used one?

TIA

As mentioned, probably the wheel does not engage the drive. There is a metal ring with two tabs in the hub of the wheel that needs to engage the tabs on the speedo drive gear. If not aligned so the wheel tabs are between the drive tabs they bend, and after a while friction won't keep them connected any more.

I would remove the wheel and check that ring and its tabs. I'd also check the gear teeth in the drive itself.

But before you do this, just disconnect the bottom end of the cable and spin the front tire. Observe to see if the metal tang that drives the cable turns when you spin the wheel. Then put your finger on that tang to create a little drag and see if it still turns when you spin the wheel.

Interesting....

yes i had changed the tire before it started happening. But the speedo worked for the first few hundred miles and then quit. Does that sound like it might be the part in the wheel that may be the problem? :ear

Or the speedo itself? :ear

TIA

yes i had changed the tire before it started happening. But the speedo worked for the first few hundred miles and then quit. Does that sound like it might be the part in the wheel that may be the problem? :ear

TIA

What? you want to spend money?? Check the part to see if its bent and that it is engaging properly before doing anything else!
Geez.

yes i had changed the tire before it started happening. But the speedo worked for the first few hundred miles and then quit.
TIA

"If not aligned so the wheel tabs are between the drive tabs they bend, and after a while friction won't keep them connected any more."

TIA

Yes - if the tangs are pressing on the tabs on the drive friction will hold them for a while. Then they will slip. They may grab and slip a few times but then they just slip. Voni's RS started to slip completely about 4,000 miles after I kludged the wheel install. I also fixed a case where a dealer replaced the drive (erroneously) but didn't straighten the bent wheel ring and it worked for 250 miles because everything was meeting tip to tip. This was at the start of an LD rally. I pulled the wheel, re-bent the ring tabs straight and put it back together and it worked fine.

You need to just pull the axle, roll the wheel forward about two inches, and then bend the tabs back out so they are parallel with the axle and carefully put it back together so the wheel tabs are between and not lined up with the drive tabs.

Back