• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Should this wire be connected? '83 R65

grover1949

I'm still trying to track the problem with no headlights on my '83 R65.
The problem began when I removed the tach to replace a bad bulb and socket in the neutral and high beam indicator lights. After the repair, I had no headlights.
While digging deeper tonight, I found a connector in the wire bundle to the ignition switch just hanging; not connected to anything. The ignition switch itself has 5 tabs, but only 4 leads connected. My gut tells me that I may have dislodged the hanging connector when I was removing the tach and I should just hook it up. But a little voice tells me to beware; if it's not supposed to be connected and I do it, I may fry some expensive electronics.
The connector is shown in the pic. There are 2 green wires coming out of it. The empty tab is just to the right of the connector. I've worked on bikes and outboards for decades, but, as this is my first BMW, I want to be sure before I hook it up.
Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
- Larry

Attachments

• Wire?.jpg
    Wire?.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 107
I am at least 90% sure it should be connected, but just to cover that other 10% I would do this.

Take a jumper wire and connect from the battery +12v to the connector at the wire. See what lights up. Just touch the wire to the connector.

Mr. Haynes shows 4 wires at the ignition switch for a US bike. A green w/ gray stripe is connected to pin 56. A red wire is connected to pin 30. I gray wire is connected to pin 58. And a green wire is connected to pin 15.

Five terminals?

Here's Mr. Clymer's take on it... probably the same as Haynes.

see lower left hand corner - Ignition Switch

1981_1985_R65_clymer.jpg

Some of the diagrams I have show two terminals for 30, so that would make it 5 terminals.

Much easier to see when enlarged in PS. 5 it is.

#3 is behind and just visible.

r65 switch ref..jpg

let's hear it for eBay... and the seller only wants $50 for it (but I digress).
icon_rolleyes.gif

$T2eC16FHJIIE9qTYI45WBReDQZCj3g~~60_57.JPG

Interesting - the eBay pic shows the #1 terminal (of your photo) as really corroded. It appears that it may have been unprotected by any connector.

I did forget to put in my original post that the hanging terminal has no voltage when the ignition is in the Off or Park position and it has 12.8 volts when in the Run position.

Much easier to see when enlarged in PS. 5 it is.

#3 is behind and just visible.

View attachment 42169

let's hear it for eBay... and the seller only wants $50 for it (but I digress).
icon_rolleyes.gif

$T2eC16FHJIIE9qTYI45WBReDQZCj3g~~60_57.JPG

Back