• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Michilen Road Pilot 4GT Tire Pressures

OK. While in Billings I had Michelin Pilot 4GT's installed on my 2007 K1200GT. No-Mar set the pressure at 42 psi/front and 44 psi/rear. I have spoken to many who have had these installed and searched the forum and there does not seem to be any consensus on what the pressures should be. Has anyone had these tires for a while recommend what they run them at and how they perform? Touring one up is the normal way the bike is used.

Use what your owners manual states.
My K1300S manual shows 36 front, 42 back.

I try to keeps ours at 36 to 38 front and 40 to 42 back.

There is no such thing as the best pressure. Higher pressure the bike will handle "lighter", the tire will run cooler, wear less, have a smaller contact patch, and less traction which is only an issue when pushed to extremes, and have a slightly harsher ride/road feel. Lower pressure just opposite, but aside from wear, many riders would never detect the difference.

▲ Bingo.
Additionally, considering that you were at the rally - your bike was loaded with gear, meaning that "Max Cold" pressure could be a Good Thing, and you are also traveling at higher speeds with all that gear, further reinforcing the preference for the higher pressure.

Back