• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Side cover tabs on R100RS

windancer

The frame tabs that secure the rear of the left side cover on my '81 RS are broken. The PO used tape in place of the tabs, and I have done the same, using Gorilla tape, wrapped around the frame member, and then stuck to the inside of the cover--a jury rig that has worked very well. However, I have new tabs, and would like to put them on, but really don't want to go to the hassle of actually welding the new ones in place.

I've never used JB Weld, but I see it's usefulness regularly praised in the forum--anybody have an opinion on whether it would be suitable for gluing the new tabs onto the frame member, rather than actually welding the new tabs on?

Eric

I don't think I'd trust JB Weld to hold. It might, but wouldn't want to chance it.

Someone near you must have a spot welder who can tack them back on. Or braze them on, that's easy - and could be done quickly without pulling a bunch of stuff off.

If you do epoxy them on, keep using the tape trick till you know the fix is permanent.

Thanks, Terry. That's pretty much where I'd gotten to myself, but I thought I'd run it through the forum anyway, just to see if anybody else had had the same problem, and maybe come up with a better, easier answer.

My take on this

I don't have experience on this particular problem - the tabs, but I have some ideas on how to fix.

I have used JB Weld, and find it to be fantastic stuff. Both the "5-Minute Quick" variety and the "24-hour" variety. In my opinion, use the 24 hour variety, if you can wait it out, because it seemed to hold best. However the quick fix variety is perfect for most fixes because it is quick and it will hold as well in most situations for a LONG time. I think both of these will only work temporarily on a STEEL to steel situation, and would be untrustworthy with what you are wanting to do.

The suggestion of a "spot" welder will not work, unless the person means "tack" welding. By definition "spot" welding is primarily for putting together two sheet-metal types of parts. The "spot" welder will so heat a small spot so high, that the metals will melt together.

However, I think the person meant "tack" welding which can be done in several ways. Either with a "MIG" gun welder (stands for Metal Inert Gas) or a "TIG" type welder which stands for "Tungsten Inert Gas). Both can "Tack" weld. Also, the standard oxy-acetelyne will also weld stuff together.

Here is what I suggest trying. See if you can clean off both parts (frame and tab) so that it is down to bare, clean metal where the part contact each other. Then take the bike to either a weld shop, OR try a local muffler shop. Nowadays, most small muffler shops actually have their own benders to bend tubing to match the car they are working on and then to do a cheap job, they actually quickly weld the pieces together with a MIG gun. Cheap, but effective. I have found that for some small projects (quick fix on a small trailer hitch, or some such) they will be glad to do a "tack" weld on stuff. Of course, the biggest danger on all of this except the epoxy, is the fact that there is gasoline in proximity. They may not do it for that reason. If wet rags can seal off the area from the gasoline, tank and carbs, then they usually will do it.

Back