• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ride advice Austin area

jenunn01

My daughter is getting married at the end of October in Austin area. We thought about taking a couple of extra days off after the wedding to rent a bike and see some of Texas. I would appreciate some "local knowledge" on some good roads/routes in the area. The only "must go" I have on our agenda so far is a trip to Lockhart for some of that great Texas BBQ. Other than that we are wide open. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Have a look here:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Texas_119.html

It doesn't show on the map, but you might want to head to Luckenbach, Texas. Weekends are a big gathering of motorcycles. Not too far from Fredericksburg is Enchanted Rock...a big granite dome which is very interesting to see. It can be hiked, but only so many people per day are allowed to take the walk to the top.

There's a 3-Sisters (I think) ride up around Fredericksburg. Much farther west, rides in and around Leaky, Vanderpool, Utopia are always. If you had time, a trip to the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum might also be good. That's near Vanderpool.

Pavement only? Day trips from Austin or overnights okay? How many miles per day? Do you want just fun roads, or interesting things to see and places to stop at too?

Pavement only? Day trips from Austin or overnights okay? How many miles per day? Do you want just fun roads, or interesting things to see and places to stop at too?

Plan to rent a 1200LT so pretty much pavement only. We love to ride so 400+ miles per day is not a problem. If you know of some fun places to stop, by all means we'd love to hear about them. (We've been to the Luchenbach, Fredricksburg area...but do love it!). Thanks to all.

Plan to rent a 1200LT so pretty much pavement only. We love to ride so 400+ miles per day is not a problem. If you know of some fun places to stop, by all means we'd love to hear about them. (We've been to the Luchenbach, Fredricksburg area...but do love it!). Thanks to all.

Okay, I'm at the office now. One evening this week I'll sit down on the home computer with the maps and write up some suggestions.

bbq and beer

If you like bbq, then ride over to Luling Tx. and try the City Market; I like their ribs and sausage. I'd give $100. for 10 lbs. of them right now; of course that's about what they cost anyway. After that ride SE over to Gonzales then on down to Shiner and tour the brewery plus you get to sample all the beer. If you get to sample enough times it doesn't make much difference where you go from there. Sounds like you have already done the Hill Country tour.

DW

Gruene, just outside of New Braunfels is a nice little town.
Picture_076.jpg

I don't have a good Texas map with me to see the road numbers, but Wimberley, Blanco, Lukenbach is a nice ride.
Kendalia, Sisterdale, Comfort is another good one and I think it's Ranch Road 473.
The road to Enchanted Rock is 965, leaving from the west side of Fredericksburg.
IMG_0026.JPG

As mentioned above, the Twisted Sisters is fun, 335, 336, and 337. While in the area, I like 470 Utopia to Bandera. Lost Maples Cafe and OST in Utopia and Bandera are good spots to eat. Pie in Medina at the east end of 337.
IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

If you go to the Motorcycle Museum, 39 to Hunt is fun, then turn back west on 1340.
The Motorcycle Museum is only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday http://www.lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/

The Hill Top Cafe on 87 NW of Fredericksburg is a good place to eat. Limited hours.
http://hilltopcafe.com/
IMG_0043.jpg

We like Rudy's, Leon Springs, NW of San Antonio.
P1000658_Large_.JPG

End of Oct, first of Nov. is a good time for riding this area.

Have fun. Hope you have a little money left for gas after the wedding :)

Last edited:
My daughter is getting married at the end of October in Austin area. We thought about taking a couple of extra days off after the wedding to rent a bike and see some of Texas. I would appreciate some "local knowledge" on some good roads/routes in the area. The only "must go" I have on our agenda so far is a trip to Lockhart for some of that great Texas BBQ. Other than that we are wide open. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

How was the trip?

Back