• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Problem replacing low beam bulb

mistercindy

I was replacing my low beam bulb and I hit a snag. When I removed the spring clip before removing the bulb, the spring clip popped completely out. For the life of me I can't figure out how to put it back in.

Just for the record, IMHO anyway, this isn't the "easy" little replacement job that it appears from the manual's directions. I have normal sized hands, and I can barely squeeze one hand into the area, and then I can't see what I'm doing. Removing the cover and then the plug is no big deal. But getting this spring put back seems all but impossible without two hands and being able to see it. Any tricks, or have I totally screwed the pooch when the spring popped out? It seems like a ridiculous thing to take to the dealer.

EDIT: See below how I solved the problem.

Last edited:
SOLVED by good 'ole American jury-rigging and a nice chianti! Here's how:

The issue isn't the spring clip so much as its the putting pressure on the back of the bulb keeping it in place. So, I noticed that there seemed to be around a 1/4" to 3/8" of space between the back of the plug and the flattened back of the cover. Why couldn't you put something in the cover with just a bit of give to push the plug thereby securing the bulb? What could do that?

- Wadded paper? No, it'd lose pressure on the plug over time.
- A sponge? Maybe. Or perhaps.........
- Cork?

Last night I happened to have a very pleasent and reasonably priced 2004 Rocca delle Macie Chianti Classico with my dinner. Having finished the bottle, the cork was in the trash. So, I got the cork out, cut around a 1/4" off the end, and taped that on the inside of the cover, then screwed the cover on where I noticed just a touch of resistance and give.

Cranked it, and the light is on. Then, I took the bike out and rode a half-mile over small city-titties. Hit potholes on purpose. Rode on some dirt (a nearby frisbee golf course) making sure that front tire got whacked around, always keeping an eye on the cluster to see if the light button popped on. I got home, looked into the low beam from the front and that bulb is rock solid.

I love it when a plan comes together! The champion of the hour:

chianti-classico.gif

I much prefer to use the cork from a sturdy, unpretentious Cline Ancient Vine Zinfandel 2005 -- with its pretty garnet and a youthful hint of purple -- which upon opening moves from a bit brambly to full spicey flavors, and a meaty nose.

Or you can just find someone with slender hands and the touch of a brain surgeon, and ask them to insert the bulb, and re-fasten the clip.

Back