• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

OHIO 1959 R60 w/ Stieb (sp) sidecar help

B

buckeyeclark

Hello I have a 1959 R60 that I want to if not restore than at least get running well and fixed up a little. The thing is that, while I can handle some of the basic things, I am not equipped with the knowledge or the tools needed to restore the engine. I rode it to my garage so it will run; however, it was a bear to start and runs really rough (been sitting for years in my mother-in-law's garage) and also is prone to serious tank slapper attacks! I have started to re-build the steering column and a few other items. Now I will get to the point...what I am wondering is if there is anyone in OHIO, other than Re-Psycle, that would be interested in helping with this project. I am not asking for free help I would pay for any labor and parts or whatever is needed. Just wondering if anyone does this or knows anybody who might be interested. Thanks

People who know and work on these bikes are few and far between. Your number one resource for information, parts and repair work is Craig "Vech" Vechorick at Bench Mark Works in Mississippi. You might be interested in joining the slash2 Yahoo group email list where you will find a lot of people interested in these bikes and able to point you to many solutions. You can also get a lot of information on service and parts providers at the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners (VBMWMO) Club website and forum. Good luck with your project!

I have used Bob Bancroft at Vintage Motorworks (I think thatÔÇÖs the name of his shop) in Kinsman, Ohio. He has worked on BMW, Harley, Indian and British bikes for years and is pretty good at it. I will tell you up front, depending on how busy he is your bike may be gone for a while. IÔÇÖve had him turn things around super fast but I have also waited a long time. The best part about Bob is that he will do whatever part of the project you want him to do. On my last project, he rebuilt the motor, transmission and final drive (took 3 months) and I did the rest. He is also great about answering questions on the stuff you are doing yourself. I canÔÇÖt think of anyone else I would take a project like you have described.

BobÔÇÖs Number: 330-876-1505

Have fun with it....

I have used Bob Bancroft at Vintage Motorworks (I think thatÔÇÖs the name of his shop) in Kinsman, Ohio. He has worked on BMW, Harley, Indian and British bikes for years and is pretty good at it. I will tell you up front, depending on how busy he is your bike may be gone for a while. IÔÇÖve had him turn things around super fast but I have also waited a long time. The best part about Bob is that he will do whatever part of the project you want him to do. On my last project, he rebuilt the motor, transmission and final drive (took 3 months) and I did the rest. He is also great about answering questions on the stuff you are doing yourself. I canÔÇÖt think of anyone else I would take a project like you have described.

BobÔÇÖs Number: 330-876-1505

Have fun with it....

Thank you very much I will give him a call.

BOB is AMAZING

He's done a ton of work on mine as well as my friends bikes. We love him....

Here is Bob's info:

Bancroft Vintage Motorworks
8260 JOB GREENVILLE RD
Kinsman, Ohio 44428
(330) 876-1505

How far are you from Michigan?

I just found out that Ralph at BMW Motorcycles of Southeast Michigan in Canton, MI is still working there. He is very skilled with the /2, and this is one of the few dealers around that will work on the older bikes.

Back