• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2017 midyear GS/GSA Model Update?

bobs_one

Just looking for info - was there an update that occurred mid year in 2017 for the GS/GSA? I have seen people refer to a 2017.5 model. Can someone tell me what the switch over date of manufacturing was (mine was end of May 2017) and waht's different?

2017.5 MY R1200GS Updates

My understanding is that there were some changes made to the transmission that increased durability and reduced shift clunkiness. I don't recall in detail what those changes were but I do remember them being posted on other forums (www.advrider.com).

Kent

I also believe there were some minor cosmetic changes as well. Nothing major but enough for guys to call some a 2017.5

I have a 2017 GSA and Annie has a 2017 GS. Mine was manufactured about five months earlier than hers. Both have the upgraded transmission which I believe was common to all 17s. Her GS has hill start assist, mine does not. The suspension options displayed on her dash are different than mine. I have three pre load options that are shown as one helmet, one helmet and suitcase, or two helmets. Hers options are MIN, MAX, or AUTO. There may be other software differences that I am unaware of but I have never ridden her bike because it is too tall for me.

I thought the most notable change that came with he 17.5 GS was the introduction of the TFT display?

I have a 2017 GSA and Annie has a 2017 GS. Mine was manufactured about five months earlier than hers. Both have the upgraded transmission which I believe was common to all 17s. Her GS has hill start assist, mine does not. The suspension options displayed on her dash are different than mine. I have three pre load options that are shown as one helmet, one helmet and suitcase, or two helmets. Hers options are MIN, MAX, or AUTO. There may be other software differences that I am unaware of but I have never ridden her bike because it is too tall for me.

I also have a 2017 GSA and was told by the dealer that they could add Hill Assist to my bike with an upload of some sort into the bike for a nominal fee.

I also have a 2017 GSA and was told by the dealer that they could add Hill Assist to my bike with an upload of some sort into the bike for a nominal fee.

I was told the same; for a cost of $250. Not an itch I need to scratch.

Dynamic ESA has been around for awhile. What Lee is referring to, starting in 2017.5, is the auto leveling feature of Dynamic ESA. I have a 2017 GS, no auto-leveling, no TFT, but it definitely has Dynamic ESA, ASC, and the improved transmission.

Last edited:
TFT was also optional for 2018’s .... my 2018 has it but the dealer had some without

Back