• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

That MOA logo - can it be fixed now?

sailorlite

I understand that the present MOA logo arose from a request from BMW that we not infringe somehow on their trademark rights. While the actual design of the new logo was the subject of considerable discussion - it's no good. It doesn't convey motorcycling or BMW or really much of anything.

Here's a suggestion for the MOA leadership: Contact BMW Motorcycle USA (if that's what they're called) and request permission to improve our logo. I bet the trademark infringement issue has subsided by now and BMW USA might see a benefit to having an identifiable club (along the lines of the BMWCCA). Maybe they would even have some constructive suggestions. We ought to have stickers, patches, etc., that make some sense.

Many members share your frustration, but from what has been written here and on other club forums BMW is intransigent on the issue. A few years back BMW became exceptionally aggressive in protecting the company image and the Roundel, including prescribing how clubs can use the Roundel and "BMW". The changes were certainly not a request, but a demand backed by a battalion of lawyers. Trying to influence BMW to change would be tilting at windmills.

Many members share your frustration, but from what has been written here and on other club forums BMW is intransigent on the issue. A few years back BMW became exceptionally aggressive in protecting the company image and the Roundel, including prescribing how clubs can use the Roundel and "BMW". The changes were certainly not a request, but a demand backed by a battalion of lawyers. Trying to influence BMW to change would be tilting at windmills.

And yet the other BMW club...the RA displays it proudly ???

Yes they do, in a manner that meets the terms prescribed by BMW. The current "MOA" logo is used to avoid the BMW rules, I believe.

So ............ let's take a stroll down that same path and see what it could look like for this club???? :scratch

I struggle to understand this issue fully and I've sincerely tried. In the rider to rider section either this month or last someone made the comparison with Harley Davidson logos. And then it struck me. Riders go to a Harley Davidson dealership and buy HD branded products. Or they can buy HD branded products from a link maybe inbedded in a H.O.G. website; but they are purchasing their products from officially listened and trademarked sources beniffiting HD. (All be it, many are probably counterfeit at this point).

BMW dealerships sell officially trademarked clothing, hats, products, etc from BMW AG through their network of dealers and websites. If you want the roundel motorrad hat and pullover that I recently bought from a dealership, it's available. The MOA is not BMW. The organization in the past represented the marque so effectively in NA that I think people are confusing the two. The MOA has their own product line. For us to put a roundel or other trademarked intellectual property on our products would, in my opinion, be akin to all the HD logoed products (counterfeit) that you would find at say sturgis or thunder beach vendors kiosks. Would it be strange if BMW auto group started using our logo on their products?

So I bought my $15 BMW roundel hat at the dealership that I wear with my MOA jacket. Problem solved.

And yet the other BMW club...the RA displays it proudly ???

Ron,

Perhaps you are seeing something different that I am. I get the OTL as well as visit the RA website. What I see is the RA following BMW's requirements just as the MOA does. If you know of an example that I've missed, please post.

None of their apparel or other items in the use the Roundel except in the BMW approved format. The Black Eagle is theirlogo and they can use it w/o the letters BMW.

Here is their approved format:

08logo127.gif

Here is the MOA's:

foot-logo.png

The only place I see in the RA magazine, OTL, that the Roundel is displayed is on their cover and that is the format as shown above.

The items they have for sale either have the Black Eagle, which is their logo, or the approved format items.

Our current logo is ineffective in letting others know what we really are all about. Perhaps it was the best that could be done at the time? :dunno And, as others have pointed out in previous threads, a format and look that is used by other organizations.

At this point, it is what it is and I doubt that there will be much interest in "re-branding" to use the current advertising lingo.

But I could be wrong, as I have been many times in the past. :wave

Our current logo is ineffective in letting others know what we really are all about. Perhaps it was the best that could be done at the time? :dunno And, as others have pointed out in previous threads, a format and look that is used by other organizations.

I'm not a RA member, but the choked imperial chicken is, at least, interesting. Mall of America, on the other hand, is less than ineffective.

But, just my opinion....

I struggle to understand this issue fully and I've sincerely tried. In the rider to rider section either this month or last someone made the comparison with Harley Davidson logos. And then it struck me. Riders go to a Harley Davidson dealership and buy HD branded products. Or they can buy HD branded products from a link maybe inbedded in a H.O.G. website; but they are purchasing their products from officially listened and trademarked sources beniffiting HD. (All be it, many are probably counterfeit at this point).

BMW dealerships sell officially trademarked clothing, hats, products, etc from BMW AG through their network of dealers and websites. If you want the roundel motorrad hat and pullover that I recently bought from a dealership, it's available. The MOA is not BMW. The organization in the past represented the marque so effectively in NA that I think people are confusing the two. The MOA has their own product line. For us to put a roundel or other trademarked intellectual property on our products would, in my opinion, be akin to all the HD logoed products (counterfeit) that you would find at say sturgis or thunder beach vendors kiosks. Would it be strange if BMW auto group started using our logo on their products?

So I bought my $15 BMW roundel hat at the dealership that I wear with my MOA jacket. Problem solved.

You make the point that the 'MOA' is not BMW. Agreed.

But this club was founded by individuals passionate about that brand of motorcycle (and still, for the most part, remains populated by like-minded members).

Consider that much of the MOA wants to be inclusive of the BMW branding.

Having to 'double-dip' into my wallet for a combination of apparel to identify my motorcycle preference/pride seems foolish, when a few strokes of a keyboard by our graphic artist could fix this whole issue overnight.

Why not use the full MOA/BMW logo on all apparel and publications?! :german

I'm not a RA member, but the choked imperial chicken is, at least, interesting. Mall of America, on the other hand, is less than ineffective.

But, just my opinion....

And mine....however, I will admit shoppers at our local mall are always impressed that I've visited MOA in Bloomington, MN. It's only the half globe that throws them off a little.

When following the prescribed BMW template it appears clubs can use an image of their choice. Why not use a picture of a motorcycle?

Yes they do, in a manner that meets the terms prescribed by BMW. The current "MOA" logo is used to avoid the BMW rules, I believe.

No, our logo (below) is fully compliant with BMW's Corporate Identity requirements.

The problem is that it doesn't reflect our brand, which is centered on the enjoyment BMW motorcycle riders experience as a member of a passionate community.

The logo isn't the brand. The logo should express what people experience through the brand.

Ian

Attachments

• BMWMOA_CI.jpg
    BMWMOA_CI.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 560
Throw the Roundel off and insert a motorcycle on that half globe. Might get "Club" logo a little closer to identifying as a motorcycle enthusiast organization. Then instead of people asking what you thought of the Mall, they could ask, what type of motorcycle...better starting point?

Agreed!

BMWMOGA_logo.png

and... we are working on some variations, what do you think?

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-03%20at%209.46.32%20AM-L.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-03%20at%209.47.46%20AM-L.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-03%20at%209.47.22%20AM-L.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-03%20at%209.48.05%20AM-L.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-03%20at%209.47.01%20AM-L.png

+1 to this interpretation that does follow corporate BMW mandated use of their logo. I definitely would love to have the MOA logo more like those for the Georgia club. I do want my club to be inclusive of two things; the BMW brand and Motorcycling in general.

If the photo below will post ?...... you will see the roundel at the bottom of the key fob & the patch displayed.

I have in my hand a patch from both the BMW Motorrad Chromeheads & the BMWRA, and both have the roundel displayed at the bottom.

OK so they do it in a way that 'pleases' momma BMW ?....Why can't we ?

http://bmwra.org/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/productline.jpg?itok=EFQgwLtC

While you might have old stock merchandise in hand, there is currently no items for sale on the RA website that have the Roundel on them like you show in your picture. Yes, the pic you posted if from the RA website, but those items with the Roundel are not currently available.

I don't see any items currently for sale by the GS Giants that have the roundel.

I also have old items with the Roundel, but they are not currently for sale.

No, our logo (below) is fully compliant with BMW's Corporate Identity requirements.

The problem is that it doesn't reflect our brand, which is centered on the enjoyment BMW motorcycle riders experience as a member of a passionate community.

The logo isn't the brand. The logo should express what people experience through the brand.

Ian

Could you enlighten us about the differences between "the logo" and "our brand"?

I don't know enough to know and am not embarrassed to ask.:wave

But, just my opinion....

I don't think anyone outside of our members can figure out what the "MOA" logo stands for. For a while, after joining, I had to kind of remember it myself. Of course most people don't know that BMW makes motorcycles anyway, so it's not that big of an issue. I just really liked the "choked imperial chicken" comment. I have never seen that bird before. It is kind of an odd logo choice. Pretty apt description, though.

I hope no RA members see this comment.

Back