• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cruise control not working right.

T

tourist

2010 k1300gt
This has been a headache because I use my cruise all the time. When on, I use the switch to increase speed and to slow down. The problem is when I use it to slow down it will turn off the cruise completely. This doesn't happen all the time but over 50% of the time. Gets annoying that I have to use my right hand to adjust speed.

Anyway, I took it to the dealer. They thought it would be the switch (me too), but they checked the signals from the switch and all were good. They changed the switch anyway. The new switch apparently did the same thing so they put my old switch back on. I think they may have looked for other things but didn't have time to investigate any longer and made another appointment next week to take in.

Anybody else have problems with part of the cruise control?
Seems unlikely that two switches would fail the same way. This is an intermittent failure. The dealer seemed to think it works if you don't press hard on the switch but I've tried many times with different pressures and different angles. Sometimes it works and sometimes it cuts cruise off.

I would think that it is not the switch if two different ones are used and the same fault still exists.

I don't know if mine does it as when I use it I just set it - will check next time.

The crusie control is behind the clutch side panel - you may want to take it off and see if anythng is amiss there. :dunno

Yes, mine does the same thing. Two weeks after the dealer replaced the switches on both handle bars the problem appeared. I also agree that the switch seems to be working since when the cruise is set and I attempt to decel, it turns of entirely. also have noticed that when attempting to "resume" the set light blinks on momentarily.
So far I haven't been able to get to the dealer but have noticed that if I turn off the cruise control then turn it back on, it will work for a couple more times before failing. Very frustrating. Now what do we do?

I think the switch bank was the cheapest component but it is most likely the most expensive component. I think the dealer said 3k for that. Its definitely broke and under warranty. Its just a matter of getting somebody else to pay for the repair. I'll probably lose out on riding next weekend.

I just tried my crusie this morning.

Set - OK

Cancel - OK

Accel in 1 mph increments - OK

Accel by increment switch - OK

Decel by 1 mph increments - OK

Decel by decrement switch - OK

Clutch pull in disengagement of Cruise - OK

Front/Rear brake disengagement of Cruise - OK

Resume - OK

Test at 40 and 70 mph

Seems ok

I will be taking mine to the dealer on Saturday. Will post after they check it out. I'm really not hopeful they will fix it on the first visit.

resume cruise control

Riding today my cruise control worked just like yours when I tried to resume control. Would blink once then go off. Press again and hold and it would resume. All else works fine. This is a K1300GT new december 10,2010 with 13,000 miles. Will call dealer tomorrow.

I'm glad other people are have problems....sort of. Got another week before the dealer can work on my bike. I looked at the box on the left side, pulled the connector, checked pins. Nothing seemed obviously wrong.

Have you checked the Cruise unit itself?

Easy to get to, just take of the clutch side panel and it is right there on a shelf

My dealer checked mine out and found nothing wrong with the switch. A new cruise unit has been ordered for delivery late this week. Unfortunately will be off to the Hoosier rally and will try to get it back there next week. More to follow.

Yeah....

Took it to the dealer and they had more switches this time. Tried several, I think, and found one that worked. That's all that matters. Working like it used to. Makes me want to do a day trip.

Oh, They said something about the internal flex board flexing too much and sending out the wrong signal or wrong resistance.....blah blah . I started too drool when they said it was fixed and started to chase my tail in a circle then I made the four mile walk to the dealer in under an hour and about 6856 steps.

Riding today my cruise control worked just like yours when I tried to resume control. Would blink once then go off. Press again and hold and it would resume. All else works fine. This is a K1300GT new december 10,2010 with 13,000 miles. Will call dealer tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

did not call dealer was gone forthe week and put on another 2000mi. Found out by pushing back and up on toggle sw for resume it would work. Also proved it by trying to decell. Push straight back and cruise control went off. But back and up would decell. Sounds like sw defect and will call Tues. Also had mishap. Going off shoulder into I thought paved was 4 in of sand went down before I could spit. One side panel and one saddlebag to be repainted.

Riding today my cruise control worked just like yours when I tried to resume control. Would blink once then go off. Press again and hold and it would resume. All else works fine. This is a K1300GT new december 10,2010 with 13,000 miles. Will call dealer tomorrow.

went to dealer today and he changed out the left control pod of switches. All works as advertised. Love this bike.

Back